Monday, February 5, 2024

Milliron Monday: Letters Home August 15 1960

  

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"I haven't had a chance to go riding..."
― Jody Smith

Jody's letter home to Mansfield, Ohio. 

Route 1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Monday, August 15, 1960

Dear Mom,
    Just a quick note to make a progress report on Jessica. She weighed 8 lbs 6 oz today at the doctor's office. She may even weigh more than Pooh someday soon! 
    Dr. Rumley gave me some cereal to start her on and so far, so good, at least she's kept five teaspoons down for over an hour now.
    Jessica certainly surprised me last night. I fed her at 5:30 pm, put her to bed at 7 pm. At 10:30 pm, I went to bed myself expecting to wake up any moment. I woke up at 5 am and Jessica was still sleeping - just fussing a little - so I got her up and fed her. She slept fine this afternoon but cried quite a bit this evening. I took her up the road in her stroller to get the paper but she howled so much as the stroller pumped over the ruts, I finally carried her. She took nearly 6 oz of milk this evening and 5 oz at all her feedings yesterday.
    Thanks for the postcard from Omaha. I'm forwarding another letter which arrived from Jessie.
    Needless to say, I haven't had a chance to go riding since you left but I hope to go some morning at 5 or so if I ever get rested up enough to undertake such a project.
Bye for now.
Love, 
Jody
P.S. I bought a $20 roll of stamps Friday. Thank you very much.
     
Previous Letters Home: 

~  ~ 

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

Milliron Monday

A final week of vacation, I will return next Monday! Thanks for following! Have a copy of Dr. Smith's biography ? Please write a review!...