Monday, January 1, 2024

Milliron Monday: Letters Home June 4 1960

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"Pete did well grade-wise this quarter... I'm certainly proud of my Junior vet!"
― Jody Smith

Jody's letter home to Mansfield, Ohio. Backstory: A new address, Pete and Jody are in the process of moving to the Birky Ranch, Fort Collins, Colorado. Jody is now a college graduate. Eight months pregnant, she avoided graduation ceremonies as she felt the heat and crowds would be too much for her. 

Route 1, Box 61
Fort Collins, Colorado
Saturday, June 4, 1960

Dear Everyone,
    The last few days have been very busy as you can well imagine. We got a few things moved out today and Les and Hope are coming in the morning to help us with the rest. Nearly everything is packed except a few last dishes for breakfast, etc. so we're nearly all set to go.
    I had my diploma mailed directly to you since I thought you'd like to see it. Please either mail it back here or bring it out when and if you can come.
    Can't remember if we ever thanked you for all the books - old horse diseases, German Shepherd, Siamese cats, etc. - which you sent quite awhile ago, but at any rate thank you very much. Pete particularly appreciated the old book on horses (from Blackstone's).
    He also very much appreciated the clothes which arrived this morning. They fit him fine - the waist size on the slacks was just right this time. He really looks nice in the Bermuda's but, of course, he doesn't think he does, so I don't know if he'll wear them or not.
    I forgot to ask you in my last letter - but I'm a bit curious as to how come one of your letters had a Denver postmark - ??
    Enclosed are my grades from this quarter. Wish more of them had been like that but I guess I can't complain. Actually, it doesn't really seem to count since 12 hours is such a light load but I managed to keep busy at any rate.


    Birky's left their Husky for us to take care of so I'm enjoying having a dog around again and she's nice company on my "pregnancy walks" which I've been taking since I had to quit riding. (Birky's went to Illinois for a two week visit so we have a beautiful farm to ourselves. It's really going to be nice when we get settled into that little house).
    The bedroom is much larger than the one here so we'll have plenty of room for baby (and all of the nice baby things you've sent) on one side and our bed on the other.
    Peter is presently busy irrigating, mowing, feeding, etc. at Birky's. He has also been cleaning up the boarding house rooms (upstairs) as the boys leave so they can be rented again for summer session, taking care of this yard, and watering and mowing the yard next door for the real estate agency which is tying to sell that house. I certainly hope some of this lets up before his track job starts.
    Guess that's all for now - I'll write again soon as we get settled out there.
Love, 
Jody
     
P.S. Pete did well grade-wise this quarter - particularly for vet school and especially for carrying 21 hours. Can't remember all his grades but he got an A (97 average) in Poisonous Plants, a couple of B's and the rest very high C's (all were only 2 or 3 points from B's) so I'm certainly proud of my Junior vet!

Previous Letters Home: 

~  ~ 

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

Monday Creek Publishing Digest: Award-Winning Author Chris Dyer

  Featured Author Chris Dyer The Rocket Trilogy BOOK 1: STING IN THE TAIL BOOK 2: FROM ROCKET WITH LOVE BOOK 3: STORM BREWING