Monday, December 18, 2023

Milliron Monday: Letters Home May 28 1960

 

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"The little sweater, booties, and bonnet are cute; it never ceases to amaze me when I think that we'll be having a little baby to put in them in another six weeks or so."
― Jody Smith

Jody's letter home to Mansfield, Ohio. Backstory: Anticipating the new baby in July, Jody writes of gifts from her parents, her last days of college, and her excitement about moving to Birky's ranch in the country.

917 Remington
Fort Collins, Colorado
Monday, April 18, 1960

Dear Everyone,
    Sorry I've been so slow in answering your cards and letters - but thank you very much for them. This last week of classes has been a bit busy. I have finals Monday and Tuesday and then I'm through! I suppose I'll probably miss school next year but right now it's going to be awfully nice to be finished - and particularly to get that diploma; thanks again and again and again for all you've done to make it possible.
    I went to the Tri-Delta breakfast last Sunday; this is the "farewell" get-together for the Seniors, held by the underclassmen. It was nice and they gave each of the seniors a little silver Chippendale bowl with "Tri-Delta 1960" engraved on it. Enclosed is the poem which was read for me. [The poem wasn't enclosed with the letter, but I'll try to find it.]
    Sounds as though that bowling tournament was quite spectacular. I'm glad to hear that Gary's dental practice is going so well.
    Thank you particularly for the cute "expectant father and mother" cards. Needless to say we much appreciated the money tucked inside also. I think we'll probably wait to go out to eat next weekend since we'll be in the process of moving and it'd sure be handy not to have to cook dinner that night, but at any rate our milk bill is now paid. I've been consuming lots of milk much to my enjoyment, it's sure good food for only 50 cents a gallon.
    I paid another visit to Dr. Rumley this morning and all's well as per usual. She said she thought it would be best if we could have someone stay with me about a week after I get home from the hospital. I explained to her that my mother lived in Ohio and she said that since I'd probably be in the hospital four or five days that that should give you enough time to come out here, if we called when I entered the hospital. So, we'd certainly like for you to come, Mom, if you want to and if it would be convenient both time and moneywise. (I'd like to lure you out here too, Daddy, incidentally trout season is now on and lasts until September).
    As far as getting to the hospital is concerned, since babies seem to come when they please, it seems foolish for you to come out and then perhaps have to visit around for a couple of weeks. Pete will be around during the day and after 1:00 a.m. and I can either call the Birky's or else another vet student and his wife who live on a farm about a half mile or so from Birky's on relatively the same side of town so that shouldn't present too much of a problem - I hope.
    I can hardly wait to get all settled in out in the country. I'll have from Tuesday noon until Saturday to get things packed and Les and Hope Rivers are going to bring their pickup truck and help us move Sunday. I explained to Dr. Rumley that we were moving and she said it wouldn't hurt me any as long as I didn't overdo - so don't worry about me, o.k.
    Thank you very much for the offer of furniture. As I think I mentioned before, we'll be using most of the furniture of the couple who are living there now, until next fall. We'll look around this summer and see what sort of things will be available. I'm pretty sure we should be able to get enough necessities here - it seems to me that it would be awfully expensive to send that furniture out here and we really don't need that nice of furniture. Besides I'm sure you all need and use it down in the basement, out at the cabin, etc. There is a very old (but automatic) washer there which Steve and his wife are leaving with us until fall so that should help out the forthcoming diaper situation. I'm sure I won't need a dryer this summer (Colorado really has a dry climate and there's no comparison with the moisture, mildew, dampness, etc. problem in Ohio; a whole wash dries in just a  few hours here, there's always a couple of sunny days each week). I haven't' used the drier here since last Christmas. It broke sometime in late December or early January. Pete managed, after much time and toil, to fix it on spring vacation but I haven't used it since then because there's always been nice weather often enough. I had a few problems with snowy, cold weather in January and March but it shouldn't be so much of a problem this coming year since I won't have classes to contend with and will be able to hang out wash any day it's nice instead of just on Saturdays and Sundays. We'll probably sell or trade in the drier here at the apartment next fall and buy a used washer. I looked at a nice 53" Westinghouse today for $65 and I doubt if the prices will change much before next fall. Also - we may be able to buy Steve's (guy who lives in Birky's now) washer, refrigerator, stove, etc., if they get a furnished apartment. At any rate, we'll be able to do a bit more with bargaining after Pete gets a few paychecks from his job this summer. 
    I don't know where to begin in thanking you for all the packages that have arrived here lately. If I leave something out, please ask about it - I guess I should have kept a list, I'm sure I'll never remember everything right now. I'll probably think of about ten or more things as soon as I mail this letter, but at any rate, we certainly appreciate everything. 
    I can hardly wait to set up our "nursery" as soon as we get moved. The little cradle which arrived last Tuesday is just darling. I can't remember if I ever thanked you for the summer blanket which arrived with Pete's clothes. At any rate, I have it on the bed now and it's certainly pretty and comfy. 
    Jess, thanks so much for the basket of oranges which arrived this week. At the moment they're spread all over the ironing board to catch the sun from the window since most all of them are very green but they're ripening. We really splurged and squeezed three of the ripest ones for juice this morning. It was really lush! Such a wonderful difference from canned concentrate. Also used the new little orange juice squeezer and strainer, Mom, it works fine. Thanks also for the meatball gadget! 
    Thank you so much for the new piece of luggage. It certainly is a handy size. I was very pleasantly surprised when I opened it. How in the world did you get everything in there? I took everything out to show Pete and I never did manage to put everything back (of course, we rapidly consumed the candy which lightened the load a bit). I love those blue shortie pajamas especially and also the blue checked robe. The pink bed jacket looks nice and warm and should be pretty with the pink nightgown. I pressed a couple of things which were a bit wrinkled and put them (along with the other pajamas you sent) back into the suitcase (I also put the aquamarine powder back in to save for the "big event" but I was sorely tempted to use a bit; it smelled so nice!). The baby clothes are awfully cute (I just love those diaper pins with the ducks on them). The little sweater, booties, and bonnet are cute; it never ceases to amaze me when I think that we'll be having a little baby to put in them in another six weeks or so. I certainly didn't realize babies came in such small sizes - guess I'm in for lots of startling realizations!
    The brown and white dress is pretty. I presume it's for wearing from, not to, the hospital. I put it on just for fun, and although all the buttons buttoned, it looked pretty bulgy to say the least. I certainly hope it won't take too long for my waistline to return to its normal resting place after the baby's born. I understand, however, that one's figure doesn't return to normal just because the baby has left and here's hoping I can get into a pair of Levi's sometime before the summer's over! I haven't the vaguest idea what my "waistline" measures now since I wouldn't even begin to know where to look for it.
    Thanks also for all the hair accessories and the handy tray. My hair is still at about half-mast, much too long to be attractive or comfortable and too short to be able to pull back into anything decent. Simmy helped it out a bit by shaping and trimming it for me. Thanks again for everything - particularly the new suitcase, complete with initials and identification tags. It's certainly pretty and arrived in fine shape.
    We have a new pet - a little garter snake, of all things. Pete built a handy cage for him from an apple crate, complete with a sliding glass top. He's certainly a good carpenter as well as mechanic.
    In case you still have that old vacuum cleaner and aren't using it, please don't throw it out. I've discovered that the only way to get Starboy clean short of washing him every time is to vacuum him. I've done it two or three times with an old vacuum cleaner at the barn but unfortunately it's broken now. Starboy was a bit jumpy the first time but now he just stands still, quite bored with the whole affair. it really did get the dust and loose hair that no amount of currying and brushing could do. I curried and brushed him first, and then used the vacuum. At any rate, in case it's still handy, you might keep it in mind in case you drive out in July. Please don't pay to have it shipped or anything because I really don't have to have it at all. Oh, thanks also for sending the Kauffman Saddlery and Stable Supply catalogue. I noticed they had a special "electric groom horse vacuum cleaner" advertised for $169.50. What a complete racket when a regular one probably does nearly as good a job.
    Guess I'd best end this short novel and get to bed since it's now midnight. I had planned to start in studying for my finals but seem to have gotten carried away with this letter writing. I'll have to attempt to drag out at 7 a.m. when Pete does in the morning and start studying. Such is the life of a student, but for only three more days! (Only three more for me, Pete's not through until Thursday). 
    Bye for now, thanks again for everything.
Love, 
Jody
     
Previous Letters Home: 

~  ~ 

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

Monday Creek Publishing Digest: Award-Winning Author Chris Dyer

  Featured Author Chris Dyer The Rocket Trilogy BOOK 1: STING IN THE TAIL BOOK 2: FROM ROCKET WITH LOVE BOOK 3: STORM BREWING