Monday, October 9, 2023

Milliron Monday: Letters Home March 21 1960

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"I've come to the conclusion that my husband must be a mechanical genius or something."
― Jody Smith

Jody's letter home to Mansfield, Ohio. Backstory: Enclosed in this letter, Jody's grades from winter quarter and her schedule for spring quarter. 

917 Remington
Fort Collins, Colorado
Monday, March 21, 1960

Hi Everyone,
    Well, "M-Day" arrived officially yesterday. We went out to Les and Hope's for lunch and dinner and I wore my black maternity slacks, a white blouse and the plaid over-blouse (which also has a matching skirt). Pete was real sweet and made a big fuss about how nice it looked; I didn't feel quite so much like a traveling barn. Actually, I haven't gained too awfully much weight yet but it's beginning!
    According to Dr. Rumley (had another appointment Saturday) all's well and progressing on schedule. I was very pleased to learn that it's perfectly all right to cart ride up until the last six weeks. 
    We've had beautiful weather the last few days. Pete and I took a lunch and went cart riding Saturday for several hours - really lots of fun.
    We got quite a bit accomplished during our few days of spring vacation. I got lots of washing and ironing done, the living room cleaned, the floor washed and waxed, the kitchen floor washed and waxed, and the cabinets scrubbed, and all the living room, bedroom, and bathroom throw rugs washed. 
    I've come to the conclusion that my husband must be a mechanical genius or something. Our dryer hasn't worked since about the middle of January, so he tore it completely apart, found the trouble, fixed it, and it runs fine. He's also been doing a real good job with Starboy's feet so shoeing him this year just cost for the shoes (about $1.00 for the four instead of the usual $7.00 for a shoeing job). 
    Enclosed is the "progress report" from last quarter as well as my schedule for this quarter. I had hopes for the 4-point finally but no such luck. Mr. Matott (my creative writing teacher) said he debated about giving me an A but if he would, he'd have to give two others A's instead of B's also and he didn't want to give so many A's! 


    Pete got three C's and a B which I felt was awfully good for vet school but he was kind of disappointed since two of the C's turned out to be only 2 or 3 points below B's. 
    I feel as though I'll really be loafing this quarter with only 12 hours but considering the courses it may keep me busier than I think. Even if they are supposed to be rather tough, I'm sure they'll be pretty interesting.
    Thank you very much for the huge package which arrived a couple of days ago with the food carrier, baby bottles, diapers, cloth books, measuring pitcher, and all the other things. Our little one certainly will have a nice homecoming prepared for him or her.
    You never did answer my question as to what you thought of the name "Jessica Lynn".
    I was wondering what you had planned concerning coming out here for graduation. If you're not coming, I'm not too anxious about going through all that rigmarole and ceremony since I may not be feeling particularly anxious to stand around in a hot robe for such a long time in the condition I'll be in by then. Having my diploma mailed to me would mean just as much to me as fussing around with any kind of ceremony, but, of course, if you'll be able to come out I'm sure it wouldn't hurt me any to participate in the graduation ceremonies.
    Guess I'd best dash - got to get to my first class of the quarter on time!
Love, 
Jody
     
Previous Letters Home: 

~  ~ 

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

Milliron Monday

A final week of vacation, I will return next Monday! Thanks for following! Have a copy of Dr. Smith's biography ? Please write a review!...