Monday, August 21, 2023

Milliron Monday: Letters Home Jan 31 1960

 

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"I'm not looking forward to looking like a brood mare."
― Jody Smith

Jody's letter home to Mansfield, Ohio. Backstory: Jody and Pete are seniors at Colorado State University. Jody is in her second trimester and continues to ride Starboy. Besides school, Pete works for the local greyhound racetrack vetting dogs. Jody's parents stay in close contact, sending weekly letters, gifts, etc.

917 Remington
Fort Collins, Colorado
Sunday, January 31, 1960

Hi All,
    Thanks so much for all the recent presents - quite pleasant surprises. The baby clothes are certainly darling and I'm sure I'll appreciate the multitude of diapers more and more at a later date. The car seat and bed arrived in perfect condition. It surely is a fancy little thing and I'm sure we'll really be able to use it a lot. The bed seems quite nice enough for a regular bed as well as a car bed, at least til our young'un gets big enough to climb out.
    Thanks also for the white monogramed blouse. I'm almost anxious to wear all these pretty new things but I'm not looking forward to looking like a brood mare. I still haven't gained any weight - certainly hope I won't gain more than 15 pounds.
    Hope I haven't forgotten to thank you for anything, so many packages are certainly exciting.
    Thanks also for the envelope with all the cards, etc. Did you need Stelio's address back? I saved it in case you did.
    This weekend has been beautiful. I rode Starboy Friday for about an hour, yesterday for an hour and hope to go riding a little today with Nancy Sonneman. I've sure got lots of homework to get accomplished but I hate to pass up this beautiful weather especially since my riding activities will have to be curtailed in another three months.
    I received a letter from Shirley Yarney, she's getting married in June and then her husband will be entering medical school in the fall.
    Also had a letter and brochure from Mrs. Wilder. Her trip for next summer looks very interesting, up into Scotland, etc., and not so many days in Italy! Did she send you one?
    I'm still getting scolded for my tardy letter writing habits. I haven't written Pete's folks since before Christmas so I got a letter yesterday inquiring about my silence. Guess I'd best make amends quickly.
Love,
Jody
 
Previous Letters Home: 

~  ~ 

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

Monday Creek Publishing Digest: Award-Winning Author Chris Dyer

  Featured Author Chris Dyer The Rocket Trilogy BOOK 1: STING IN THE TAIL BOOK 2: FROM ROCKET WITH LOVE BOOK 3: STORM BREWING