Friday, February 16, 2024

An Interview with Ohio Author Evan Graham

 

An Interview with Ohio Author Evan Grahm

Science Fiction Author Evan Graham writes stories to take you to another place – another realm. Through engaging characters and captivating scenarios, Graham finds a way to drive you into his storytelling, creating an encounter that entices every reader.

From Evan’s Bio: “I am, among many things, a writer, although that word doesn’t fully encapsulate my experiences with story-crafting. “Junkie” might be a better term. I am absolutely ravenous for stories, and have been all my life. I love them. I love hearing them, I love sharing them, and I love the pseudo-life they take on inside your head, where the seed a story plants in your imagination can bloom in a hundred unpredictable ways.”

Welcome, Evan!

GM: What is the premise for your new book?

EG: Tantalus Depths is a sci-fi horror-thriller story about a woman fighting for her survival on a mysterious world filled with unfathomable threats. When Mary's crew arrives on Tantalus 13, they discover quickly that the planet is not what it seems. In fact, it's not even a planet, but an ancient megastructure built thousands of years ago by an unknown alien civilization. Mary and her crewmates take it upon themselves to explore the vast inner workings of the alien structure to learn its secrets, but the thrill of discovery is soon tainted with horror as tragedy strikes the mission. To make matters worse, their AI assistant, SCARAB, seems to know more about this world than it lets on, and the lengths it's willing to go to pursue its own agenda could put the lives of the entire crew in deadly peril. 

GM: Do you use close friends and family for developing characters and scenarios?
EG: I try to avoid basing any of my characters too heavily on any one real person. I like my characters to live a life all their own on the page, with personalities and motivations tailor-made to suit the story they're in. I do take bits and pieces of inspiration from people I've known throughout my life, but it tends to be on a case-by case basis. I might meet someone with a conversational quirk I like and incorporate that into a character's dialogue, or pick up on a particular nervous fidget someone does and slide that into a character who gives the same kind of vibe that person gives me.

In a broader sense, I'd say most of my strongest heroes and heroines are built on a foundation of all the people I've most admired in my life. Family, close friends, romantic partners; the same strengths of character that draw me to form strong bonds with people in real life are the ones I integrate into the core identities of my protagonists. General virtues like compassion, perseverance, curiosity, self-awareness, humility: these are traits I look for in the people I surround myself with. In my opinion, they're some of the best features humans can embody, and I try to show them abundantly in characters I want my readers to respect.

On the flipside, I have also definitely taken some inspiration from people I do not respect for characters as well. Commander Gorrister in Tantalus Depths, for instance. He's supposed to be the leader of the mission, but his leadership skills are abysmal. He doesn't know how to handle a crisis, he takes himself way too seriously and undervalues the competence of his crew, he's more beholden to corporate regulations than he is to common sense. He's the kind of guy who gets into a position of authority because he wants to boss people around, not because he's a skillful leader, and his by-the-books leadership style causes serious problems when problems arise outside of the regulations he wants to follow. I took quite a bit of inspiration for his character from many of the bosses and managers I've had in various jobs who I didn't have much respect for. That was a cathartic experience, in many ways.

GM: How do you maintain thoughts and ideas for storylines?
EG: Storylines come very naturally to me. Worldbuilding is my biggest writing strength, and the world of my stories is a constant living entity in my mind. Many of my stories bud off of each other naturally: I'll create a character or a planet or some other concept in the course of writing one story, and it'll interest me enough that it stays at the forefront of my brain long after the story I wrote it for is done. It's like a grain of sand in an oyster's shell, teasing me with potential as more ideas start to stick to it until it becomes a pearl big enough to be a story in its own right. When I started this writing journey, all I had was Tantalus Depths, but in the course of developing that book I ended up creating five short stories from little seeds of inspiration that grew from that first book. I've got a whole anthology series now, The Calling Void, with more short stories and another whole novel coming soon.

GM: What else have you written?
EG: Good segue, I guess. Tantalus Depths is my first novel, and I am currently working on the standalone follow-up novel, Proteus, set in the same universe but with a totally new plot. I've written five short stories so far in the Calling Void series, published in various anthology collections with Duskbound Books (formerly Writing Bloc). The newest, Neurophage, came out in last year's Passageways: Mythos collection. More are on the way!

GM: What are you currently writing?
EG: Proteus is a really, really ambitious follow-up. Set on a city-sized starship halfway into a 150-year journey across the galaxy, Proteus revolves around a crisis among the crew as mutiny has erupted regarding the fate of the mission and the thousands of cryonically frozen colonists aboard. One man seeks to resolve this crisis through any means necessary: Jacob Sicarius: cyborg war hero and intended future leader of the new colony. The problem? Jacob is a bloodthirsty tyrant. Now the three women he has most wronged must focus their efforts on preventing the future of an entire new human civilization from being decided by a monstrous despot.

There's a lot going on in this one. It's a science fiction reinterpretation of Richard III that I've been plotting for more than 14 years, so I definitely did not pick an easy project for my second book. I'm really proud of what I've written so far, though, and I cannot wait for people to get to read it when it's done.

GM: What are you currently reading?
EG: At the moment I'm actually reading an ARC copy of another author's book, but I can't talk about that one just yet. Outside of that, I most recently started on the Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir. It's really good!

GM: Who is your favorite author?
EG: It's hard for me to pick just one, because I like different things about different authors, but I think if I had to pick just one it would be Isaac Asimov. His contributions to the science fiction genre really shaped what it would become over the course of the 20th century, and I really don't think his influence in the genre can be understated. Also, his direct influence on my personal writing style, for that matter. I've never been shy about how much inspiration I've taken from the greats.

GM: Do you have advice for novice writers?
EG: My one big life hack for being a productive writer is to set aside a section of your home that is your permanent writing sanctum. Your brain can associate a certain place with a certain activity, so if you are vigilant about only ever sitting in a certain chair or corner of the room when you're getting ready to write, your brain will start associating that space with the act of writing. If you're diligent about keeping that spot dedicated for writing and writing only, the simple act of sitting there can start your creative juices flowing. The crucial thing is you have to keep that space sacred. If you start letting yourself get distracted and watch videos on your phone while sitting there or some other temptation, it'll ruin the whole thing.

GM: Authors say that writing is easy, but marketing takes more momentum. What are your recommendations for book marketing and promotion?
EG: Honestly, the hardest part for me is just balancing writing and promotion. Neither one is that hard once you get into it: the trickiest thing is balancing your time. I had a very productive year promoting my book last year, but it came at the cost of my writing productivity. When you're going to a convention or a book fair every other weekend, it doesn't leave much time for actually writing the next book. If you want to be a successful writer, the most important thing you need to worry about is time management. You can't spend all your attention on writing, or there's no promotion and no one will see your work. You can't spend all your time on promoting, or there's no writing and no one will see your work. Find a balance, where you can manageably spend your time promoting yourself while saving enough time and mental energy to write a few hundred words every day. 

Also, leave room for a social life and some me time. You need to keep your own mental health up, or you'll burnout and burnout hard.

GM: What does authorship mean to you?
EG: For me, authorship is an almost divine imperative to create. I have stories that dwell inside my brain; people who live and die, nations that rise and fall, whole universes born and destroyed, all in the confines of my mind. If I don't put those stories to paper, they never become real to anyone but me, and that's a shame. I feel an obligation to these narratives: they deserve to be real, and no one can make them real but me, therefore I must do so. We've all got stories to tell, and no one can do it but us.

Connect with Evan...


 


 


No comments:

Milliron Monday: The Recordings 1

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:   June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010 Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May ...