Thursday, February 1, 2024

Custom Creations: An Interview with Emma Tedrick

 

Emma Tedrick with Sancho, Founder/Owner of EM Custom Show Pads

Photo Courtesy (c) Kristie Marie Photography

Custom Creations: An Interview with Emma Tedrick
by Gina McKnight
Archived from the December 2023 issue of Florida Equine Athlete
No duplication without permission
 
Happy New Year! To start the year, I thought it would be fun to talk about tack, specifically saddle pads and fitting. I’ve been in the market for a new pad and impressed with Emma Tedrick. Emma is the creator and designer of EM Custom Show Pads. She rides and shows Reining Horses and enjoys the horse-girl lifestyle.

Emma creates her own beautiful collection of show pad patterns with only the best materials; stunning patterns are camera-ready with quality workmanship, creating a winning combination for you and your horse!
 
Welcome, Emma!
 
GM: We are thrilled to talk with you about your custom show pads! But first, tell us about the first time you meet a horse…
ET: I have always been horse obsessed my whole life, I was that little girl who had all the Breyer horses and loved watching the saddle club. For one of my birthdays, I had the choice to either swim with the dolphins (which was a longtime dream of mine, until my husband surprised me on our honeymoon) or have three months’ worth of riding lessons. Choosing riding lessons was the best decision I ever made, and I haven’t stopped riding since that day on.
 
GM: As a competitor, what do you look for in the perfect horse?
ET: As a non-pro competitor, I personally look for a great minded horse. Owning a pad company, said horse has to be pretty to use for promo pictures!
 
GM: What inspired you to create custom show pads? 
ET: At the time that I started EM Custom Show Pads I was in the NRHA apprenticeship program, as we know assistants don’t make a lot of money and I still had a horse I was wanting to show, so to the drawing board I went. And when I say drawing board I literally started with a blank piece of paper and colored pencils to create my very first design.
 
GM: Your designs are beautiful! What makes your show pads different from other brands?
ET: Thank you so much for your kind compliment! What makes EM Custom Show Pads different from other show pad companies is that each and every design you see has been created personally by me. I take into account that a saddle will be covering up a lot and that from a distance a lot of detail gets lost. I also work very hard on coming up with unique color combinations that aren’t already on the market. 
 
GM: When buying a show pad, what is the procedure for selecting size, fit, and comfort?
ET: At EM Custom Show Pads we have two sizes available for in-stock pads, with show pads measuring 34”x42” and ranch pads measuring 34”x40”. With that being said, any pad you see online can be re-ordered in any custom size for no additional cost.
 
GM: Take us through a day in your life...
ET: I start my mornings with a cup of coffee while reading my daily Bible study, after that I go outside to feed our Longhorn Augusteen and horse Sancho. From there my workday begins with responding to emails/social messages, fulfilling orders, packaging pads to be shipped, receiving new inventory, taking pictures/uploading to website, designing new pads, design custom pads, and the list goes on lol. I end my day with making dinner, then going on a walk around the pasture with my husband and dog Blue. 
 
GM: Do you have advice for novice riders and those looking to buy their first horse?
ET: I don’t have a lot of experience buying horses, but one thing I’d recommend when buying a horse is having a trainer to help you pick out the perfect horse that meets your needs. 
 
GM: Besides horses, show pads, and riding, what do you do for fun?
ET: I love doing anything outdoors from hiking, to fishing and hunting. I do it all!
 
GM: What does horsemanship mean to you?
ET: Throughout the years of showing, I’ve learned what true horsemanship truly means. It’s so easy to get wrapped up in your own personal goals and success. But I’ve come to realize that every horse has a purpose in life and it might not be physically or mentally capable to achieve the goals you’re trying to reach. For instance, my horse Sancho was purchased to derby on, and for two years we struggled, and I never successfully showed him in the reining. I had to stop being selfish, put my wants aside and realize he needed a new job. He’s now happily turned out to pasture and doing the ranch riding and we are having a blast! That horse taught me to become a horseman and to always have their best intention in mind at all times. 
 
Connect with Emma…
www.emcustomshowpads.com

 

All Photos: Emma Tedrick with Sancho - Photo by (c) Kristie Marie Photography






No comments:

Milliron Monday: The Recordings 1

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:   June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010 Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May ...