Monday, October 16, 2023

Milliron Monday: Letters Home March 24 1960

 

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"I met Pete's folks and his little brother. They are wonderful people."
― Jody Smith

Jody's letter home to her parents and grandmother in Mansfield, Ohio. 

917 Remington
Fort Collins, Colorado
Tuesday, March 24, 1960

Dear Mom, Dad, and Jessie,
    Things have really been busy here lately. Registration was all in one day, and everyone poured into the bookstore all day long yesterday. My grades turned out a wee bit better than I expected - fortunately! I was truly estimating my grades as a 3.2. Unfortunately, Pete's grades went down. He flunked a chemistry course and will have to take a make-up course in summer school either at DU or CU. I'm rather worried about it all but I know he'll get through vet school all right, eventually. 
    I took Starboy over to the vet hospital and soon as we go back here, I had him dewormed, got him a sleeping sickness shot and a shot to lessen the effects of distemper and bronchitis if he would get them. He had a temperature so I took him back Saturday and they gave him an antibiotic shot. He seems to feel pretty good but he's so thin. Pete took his temperature for me Sunday and yesterday and it has gone down. The doctor at the vet hospital said to bring him back if his fever didn't go down. I think he's getting better now but he sure had me worried. I have to get him the second shot in the sleeping sickness series next week, so they'll probably give him another physical checkup. I'm going out there three times a day to feed him in hopes of putting more weight on him. The other horses chase him away from his hay. I've been keeping him in a separate little corral by himself and feeding him hay.
    The remedial reading course is sort of an experiment. I'd like to see if I couldn't increase my reading speed and concentration. There are no credits given for the course so it's purely time put in for my own betterment. I don't feel I'm taking enough hours this quarter but Dr. Bostrum talked me out of taking more. I'm sure I'll have enough to keep me busy.
    I'll be spending two hours each Sunday night at an Episcopal adult confirmation class. I'll just be going this quarter for my own information but I'm planning on joining the church next year, I hope.
    This spring vacation has been one long, lost weekend. Pete and I were together nearly constantly - it was wonderful to say the least. Will write more in detail as soon as I can find time. Believe it or not I'm already swamped with junk to do - homework plus an "intellectual autobiography" due tomorrow for a scholarship I've applied for. It's really a waste of time since I already have the Junior Senior Scholarship and you can't hold two University scholarships but I started applying before I knew that; I've already filled out and sent in one form so I hate to just quit and back out since it's in the English department and wouldn't be too advisable as far as my "public relations" are concerned.
    I certainly got a pleasant surprise today. Ole came into the bookstore to see me. She flew home for spring vacation. It was terrific to see her and talk to her. She's hoping to come back Thursday for a cart ride.
    I guess I'll just stop and send this letter now or heaven knows how long it'll be before I get to finish. I've got three "bread-and-butter" notes to mail so may as well mail this, too.
    I met Pete's folks and his little brother. They are wonderful people. Will write you more about them as soon as I get the chance.
    Thank you, Mom, for the suit and dresses. They just arrived this afternoon.
    There's so much I want to tell you that I'll have to set aside a whole day to get it all written.
    Miss you all.
Love,
Jody


Previous Letters Home: 

~  ~ 

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

Milliron Monday

A final week of vacation, I will return next Monday! Thanks for following! Have a copy of Dr. Smith's biography ? Please write a review!...