Monday, October 30, 2023

Milliron Monday: Letters Home Apr 10 1960

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"Pete's been finding time to ride Starboy a bit and really has him behaving nicely. He's taught him to do a sidepass, of all things, which is a sort of haute ecole or dressage movement."
― Jody Smith

Jody's letter home to Mansfield, Ohio. Backstory: At 21, Jody is pregnant, continues to ride Starboy, attends college, and keeps house.

917 Remington
Fort Collins, Colorado
Sunday, April 10, 1960

Hi All,
    Today was certainly a beautiful day - in the 80's! I rode Starboy a bit and then did some reading for my poetry paper while he ate grass.
    Yesterday was a pretty day but I spent it in the Boulder Library and bookstores. It was a worthwhile day, tho, since the Boulder (CU) Library is really a nice one and had quite a bit of material on James Stephens.
    Can't remember if I ever told you how much we enjoy (especially me) the pizza pie pan. I fixed pizza last weekend and it was really great to have some again. I've also been using it as a cookie tin so now I can bake a full cookie jar's worth at a time. Also - did I remember to mention how much Pete and I enjoy our matching shirts? Pete's looks real nice on him and I can imagine that mine will look a bit better about the middle of the summer. Thanks again for both.
    Pete's been finding time to ride Starboy a bit and really has him behaving nicely. He's taught him to do a sidepass, of all things, which is a sort of haute ecole or dressage movement. It certainly looks fancy - especially for a Quarter horse to be doing it! The horse moves sideways in a straight line, should be real handy for opening gates and such!
    I discovered, much to my dismay after searching through the closets and my various trunks, that I must have left behind my upside-down flowerpot-type white summer hat to wear that will match the blue suit you sent (the beige sailor boy-type hat is here but, of course, wouldn't go with the suit at all. If you can find the flowerpot hat and/or that little white straw hat or whatever summer hats I have, I'd appreciate it if you'd send them. I don't suppose they could get here before Easter but I can most likely borrow a hat from somebody for then.
    We're having a midterm in English History day after tomorrow, so guess I'd best get busy studying it. I get so sleepy and tired lately that I can't count on staying up late and studying anymore as I used to. Sometimes I just fall asleep at 4 or 10 p.m. no matter what!
    Guess I am going to have to break down and order a pair of maternity Levi's from Sears. I wore those black slacks riding, but it sure is hard on them. My one large pair of Levi's still fits but the waistband is getting quite snug quite rapidly.
Bye now.
Love, 
Jody

P.S. Is there anyone you want me to send graduation invitations to? If so, please let me know how many to order since we have to get the order in fairly soon.
     
Previous Letters Home: 

~  ~ 

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

Monday Creek Publishing Digest: Award-Winning Author Chris Dyer

  Featured Author Chris Dyer The Rocket Trilogy BOOK 1: STING IN THE TAIL BOOK 2: FROM ROCKET WITH LOVE BOOK 3: STORM BREWING