Friday, December 29, 2023

This Week @ Monday Creek: Goodbye 2023

Robson Tree Service Crew @ Monday Creek Dec 2023
 


Goodbye 2023
 
It wasn’t long after my dad died that the big elm on the side of the hill died. I remember it was alive when I went through a season of grief. When I noticed the tree again, it was listless and still. Large predator birds, mostly turkey buzzards, sat in the tip top of the large, leaf-less tree and looked for things to eat, spying me as I walked to the barn. Sometimes, a flock of small blackbirds would fill the entire tree, then fly away in one big swoop as I approached. Finally, after three years, I knew it had to come down. The crew at Robson Tree Service brought it down gently, stacked it in a neat pile for firewood, and picked up the smallest pieces. I won’t tell you that I cried a bit as I heard “thud” as it fell. I don’t remember when the tree was not there. Somehow, we knew the same things, people, and living. Time to move on.
 
For Christmas, my BFF and I went to Rhapsody for dinner, then to Stuart’s Opera House to see the Columbus Symphony. It was a festive event and a great way to celebrate Christmas. I recognized the name of the conductor… Stephen Caracciolo… I knew that name. Could it be that he was related to Matthew Caracciolo, one of our authors? Why, yes! It was Matthew’s father! I could see the resemblance. “Will the Conductor sign my program?” I asked the usher. Not for sure, the usher left a note in the Green Room. I am waiting to hear if he signed it.

Stuart's Opera House: Columbus Symphony Holiday Pops Spectacular


A nice surprise came in the mail last week. Monday Creek Publishing author Leslie McDonald sent a gorgeous calendar "Behind the Gate" of her Full Cry Farm Dressage Center. What makes this calendar so special are the haikus written by Leslie. It’s a nice addition to my writing desk and a good conversation piece as well. Leslie, a "USDF Gold, Silver and Bronze Medalist... numerous national and breed association awards, has trained and successfully competed five horses to the Grand Prix level" writes beautiful haikus that celebrate her farm. If you would like to purchase a copy, email Leslie: fcfarm@aol.com.


 
Finally, a new project is underway for a group of musicians from Jackson, Ohio. We are collaborating on a “fiction-based-on-fact” story of their garage band, the Truants. It is my good fortune to be selected to write this story. I have a tentative outline, completed a draft of the first chapter, and connected with a few fans. One of the former band members, Paul Hanks, has written a screenplay about his life and times as a Truant. The other band members were unaware that Paul penned a screenplay. Once finished, I hope the book will engage readers and keep them entertained; to be released in 2024.
 

As we wave goodbye to 2023, we will remember the mistakes, triumphs, hurdles, joys, and serendipitous events that made it a year worth remembering. Most of all, I thank God for His blessings, favor, and presence; for keeping us under His wings and in His hands. My best wishes to your for a prosperous and Happy New Year!


But I am like a green olive tree
in the house of God;
I trust in the mercy of God
    for ever and ever.
Psalm 52:8 KJ


No comments:

Milliron Monday: The Recordings 1

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:   June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010 Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May ...