Thursday, January 18, 2024

This Week @ Monday Creek: Winter Feeding Frenzy -The time when Mac bit Zubie

Zubie and Mac @ Monday Creek
 


Winter Feeding Frenzy: The time when Mac bit Zubie

It was a day like today – frigid temperatures, overcast skies, winter winds, and hungry horses. I was late getting to the barn that day and my gelding, Mac, and my mare, Zubie, were hungry (you know all horses wear a watch and know when you’re late to the barn!).

Zubie is a passive mare. Usually mares are the herd “leaders”, but in this case Mac was dominant. He was pushy. He had been in a herd where he was low on the list and ignored. Now, in a very large barn stall with Zubie (yes, they shared the same stall), he was in charge. 

It was dark that day as I went to the barn to feed. I remember hearing a ruckus in the corral, unusual stomping, and whinny-screams. Mac ran into the barn, hung his head over the gate, and wanted something to eat – pronto! Zubie, however, came in a few minutes later with a two-inch square out of her chest. Mac had bitten her! I was furious! I immediately separated them, put Mac in a stall by himself so I could look at Zubie’s wound.

The wound was not bleeding. Mac had pulled her coat right off, creating a small patch of bare skin. She didn’t seem upset physically, but I am sure she was angry, too. And probably her feelings were hurt, as were mine. She quietly ate supper and went directly to her hay.

What should I put on the wound? No blood, no cuts, just bare skin. I prayed about it, “Lord, what do I do?” The answer was, “Nothing.” Antibiotic ointment would only freeze to her skin. A bandage would not adhere to it. Common sense said the cold air would do it’s work and the wound would heal itself. And it did. Within a week, the hair began to grow back. By Spring, the patch was completely covered, her paint coat was once again complete.

Mac knew he had failed in being a good stablemate. He ate his supper, sullen; he had broken the rules of herdship. He never bullied Zubie again. 

Despite his rude behavior that night, he was my love, a beautiful gelding who was passionate about living. In October 2019, Mac was bitten by a timber rattlesnake and died. He is missed. I thought of him today when I went to the barn. Zubie is alone now, but we are hoping to get a stablemate for her soon.

To see pics of Zubie, follow on Insta @ Monday Creek Publishing.

Mac and Zubie @ Monday Creek



No comments:

Milliron Monday: The Recordings 1

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:   June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010 Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May ...