Thursday, December 14, 2023

An Interview with Ohio Author Crissie Ann Leonard

 Crissie Ann  Leonard, Author

An Interview with Ohio Author Crissie Ann Leonard

Crissie first interviewed for my blog in 2021. She was a signing author at our very first Book Fair. A joy, Crissie just returned from an October cruise where she talked about her books and engaged with passengers.
 
Last Saturday, we met up again at the Hocking Hills Book Fair in Athens, Ohio. Crissie writes, “I'm moving into Phase 2 of my TV series. My book is now selling in South Africa. After speaking on the cruise ship in October, I am working to get my book in bookstores in the Bahamas and Grand Turks/Caicos.”
 
Welcome, Crissie!
 
GM: When did you realize you wanted to become a writer?
CL: Third grade. I loved reading and wanted to inspire people like the books I read did for me. 
 
GM: What is the premise for your new book?
CL: Dealing with grief and mourning.
 
GM: How do you maintain thoughts and ideas?
CL: A lot of post-it-notes.
 
GM: Authors say that writing is easy, editing is a nightmare, and book marketing is the worst! In your experience, what marketing techniques have worked best for you?
CL:I found author "takeovers" for book club fan pages to be successful. Also, putting my books in a see-through bag to carry with me everywhere. 
 
GM: Take us through a day in your life as an author...
CL: It is certainly not glamorous. I work my 8-4 job, then break for dinner. After that, I get out either my post-it notes or notebooks. I use the notes to organize my thoughts for scenes, characters, and book plot. If I am working in a notebook, it is to "formally" write the chapters. I use a different notebook for each book I work on to avoid my ideas crossing over to the other book(s). Then I transfer the notes/chapters into the computer. I'm an old-school writer-I prefer pen and paper. 
 
GM: Describe your writing desk and what drives your creativity...
CL: My desk is a white wood French style compact style. There is an opening for my black chair with rhinestones. On top of my desk is where the fun is!! I have a camera picture holder with a picture for my girl’s trip to Graceland, one of me and my twin sister, and one of my departed beloved cat, Smokey. Next to that is a Day of the Dead skeleton stress ball and a tube of ChapStick. Rounding out the corner is a Chewbacca and his Porg bobblehead, a tall Chewbacca Lego figurine, an Elvis "Taking Care of Business" coin, and a red Darth Vader statue. Hey, I'm a HUGE fan of Star Wars!!!! I also have an owl cell phone holder, a Jack Skellington coaster that was made for me, a Chewbacca mouse pad, and a black and white polka dot desk mat. On the other side of the desk is a cat post-it-note holder, a Let Your Light Shine lightbulb from my church’s’ Women's Ministry, a cat sign that says, "I am Feline Good Right Meow" - cute isn't it?! I also have a small clay essential oil diffuser, too. 
 
GM: What are you currently reading?
CL: Crushing by T.D. Jakes and Fervent by Priscilla Shirer. 
 
GM: What are you currently writing?
CL:I started the year by working on two romance novels. I put them on pause though as I dealt with grief that I buried from 2021. I lost my brother in 2021 and three pets in 2022. I didn't deal with the grief and mourning of their deaths until Spring of 2022. Then I aggravated a previous back injury in Winter 2022. I found healing in my broken heart and back in February 2023. 
 
As I went through the healing process, I felt called to write a grief book and accompanying companion book before the romance novels. My goal is to have all three books completed in 2023. Wish me luck. Prayers appreciated too!
 
GM: List 10 things your fans may not know about you...
CL:1. I love classical and Italian opera music
      2. My friend Adam from Nightrunner Productions filmed a jewelry commercial for me. We won our division in an international film festival and we placed in multiple others. You can find the commercial on my webpage in The Humble Heartbeat shop
      3. Stink bugs creep me out!!!
      4. There were a few years in my life that I wasn't a people person
      5. I don't like leftovers or my food to touch on my plate
      6. I want to write a song
      7. My favorite movie is Wuthering Heights
      8. I am a twin. I'm three minutes older, so I tell my sister to respect her elders!!! 
      9. I love socks. One dresser drawer isn't enough to hold them!
     10. On a visit to a local zoo, a kangaroo hugged my leg and wouldn't let go. The zoo keeper had to come get him off me. 
 
You can purchase my books, Letters to My Father and Color My Feelings Devotional Scripture Coloring Book on my website at 
 
Follow me online: Facebook-crissie.a.leonard    Instagram-@crissieauthor
 
Crissie Ann Leonard
Author, Letters to My Father
Owner-YMP Creations Jewelry

Crissie's writing desk.




 


No comments:

Milliron Monday: The Recordings 1

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:   June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010 Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May ...