Saturday, July 2, 2016

An Interview with Author Patty Wiseman

Welcome award winning author Patty Wiseman! Patty is the author of the romantic, historical suspense series The Velvet Shoe Collection, published by Desert Coyote Productions. Her new book An Unlikely Conclusion is the third in The Velvet Shoe Collection…

GM: When did you realize you wanted to become a writer?
PW: I was that kid who had a flashlight under the covers reading into the early hours of the morning. The stories let me travel to places unknown, experience things I never imagined, and fueled my desire to put pen to paper at a very early age. At various times throughout my life, I tried my hand at that deep desire to write, but life got in the way. It wasn’t until I retired from a 25-year career that I took the plunge and went for it!

GM: Your books are romantic vintage fiction and are popular around the world! Congratulations on your success! How do you develop characters, plot, etc.?
PW: The stories my grandmother told me as a young girl danced like scenes from a movie in my brain. I could see the girl named Ruth, and envision the mobster called “The Nose”. Grandmother was a great story teller, so it wasn’t hard for me to picture the characters she described. They lived with me as I wrote each book and still do. I’ve said I would stop the series at six books. Book four is about to be published and I am already deep into the next book. The 1st three books centered on the two main characters, Peter and Ruth, but the rest of series will be centered on the secondary characters from the 1st books. At this point, I could go on and on!

GM: Can you share an excerpt from one of your favorite passages...  
PW: Well, I have two favorite passages. The first is from Book Two – An Unlikely Beginning, Chapter One

Chapter One Excerpt
by Patty Wiseman

In the far corner of a seedy speakeasy known as the Blue Feather, seventeen-year-old Ruth Squire tried to avoid the interested eye of a repugnant patron. The impatient bartender waved his hand toward the stage—it was her turn to sing, but the metallic taste of fear drenched her tongue and slithered downward until her stomach burned. She took a step back.
A female voice whispered from behind, “Remember why we are doing this Ruthie. You can’t abandon him now.”
Slowly, courage overtook the fear. One step—another, until she stood center stage. The piano began the prelude, and she closed her eyes. A few tremulous notes exhaled through ruby lips, but strengthened as memories of the murderous carnage at home unfolded and steeled her will. The choice to save him was hers. Instead of a pack of crude, bawdy men in a smoke filled room, she envisioned Peter, the man she came to rescue. Her eyes opened, and she remembered…

And Book Three An Unlikely Conclusion Chapter One ...

Chapter One Excerpt
by Patty Wiseman

Ruth Squire Kirby clutched the letters close to her breast and drank in the hint of violets emanating from the parchment, Mother’s signature fragrance. In the cold, upstairs bedroom of her childhood home, she’d found the beribboned stack on the mirrored bureau, exactly where Mother intended for her to look. It was over.
Trembling, she’d opened each one and read the heart wrenching words, the story that ended so tragically.
The goal was now accomplished. She was married, and to the man her parents had chosen. The journey to this wish had been fraught with unspeakable danger, death, and destruction. Lies and secrets, exposed to the light of day, completed the circle of deception and impacted her life forever.
Each letter told the story. Mother’s story. She could only imagine the fear that beat in her mother’s heart as each year went by, never knowing when, never knowing who would show up at her door and seek revenge.
Whether divine providence or accidental misfortune, two women, mother and daughter, battled a male dominated world. Unwilling to leave the future to old world propriety, each woman took charge of their destiny—many times clashing with one another while fighting separate inward struggles.
Tears slid down the smooth softness of her cheeks as she, once again, read the tale as described by the woman who lived it and mourned the mother she never really understood.

GM: Which character have you enjoyed writing the most?
PW: I love all my characters. They are like family to me. But the one I think I had the most fun with was Fanny Zapelli, the mob moll. In fact, I like her so much Book Five will be all about her! She’s sassy, smart, and knows what she wants. It took her a while to find her way, but now that she has there is no stopping her!

GM: How much of your own personal experience is woven into your characters and story line?
PW: These books are loosely based on a true story. A story my grandmother lived through. I’ve tried to portray the flavor of the time, as she described to me. I’ve taken liberties, of course. She’s been gone a long time and I only have my memories to go by and the research I do about that era. So there is quite a bit of personal experience woven into the stories.

GM: Besides writing romantic fiction, what else do you enjoy writing?
PW: I’ve written a short story called A Summer Tale. I won 1st place with that one. I’ve also written a self-motivational book called Success Your Way. Available only in print (so you can write in it. LOL)

GM: What are you currently writing?
PW: I have two projects. I am attempting a contemporary romance and a children’s book. Very exciting to branch out and do something new.

GM: What are you currently reading?
PW: Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon

GM: Who is your favorite author?
PW: Diana Gabaldon! I have followed her Outlander Series since the beginning. I love her descriptive writing; the way she takes you there!!

GM: Do you have advice for novice writers?
PW: You know, the word that comes to mind when talking about new writers is Persistence! Oh there is so much to learn! Keep at it. Never doubt your ability, use your desire to motivate yourself. My favorite quote is from Dolly Parton. “Figure out who you are and do it on purpose!”

GM: List 10 things that your fans may not know about you...
PW: 1. I’m only 5’2”

2. I love Masterpiece Mysteries on PBS.

3. I have a wonderful dog, but like cats better. (Don’t have one because of hubby’s allergies)

4. Love to travel.

5. Am learning to write a screenplay.

6. Am learning to be a voice actress

7. I make lampshades.

8. I’m also a ghostwriter.

9. Am a fanatic about baseball

10. And! I never stop learning! It’s an exciting world out there! Seize it!

Connect with Patty…
http://www.pattywiseman.com/

5 comments:

Patty W said...

Thank you so much, Gina. I'm honored to be a guest on your blog!!

Dana Wayne said...

Great interview! Loved the excerpts!

Gina said...

Thanks for sharing, Patty! Best wishes always for your continued success!!

joanie murray said...

Very nice, Patty! I had no idea you had so much going on! Congrats.

Patty W said...

Thanks so much everyone! This was a very fun interview to do!

Milliron Monday: Letters Home Oct 10 1960

          Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:   June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010 Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1...