Saturday, February 5, 2022

Catching Up with Kira: An Interview with Kira Karpinski, Double K Leather Works


Catching Up with Kira: An Interview with Kira Karpinski, Double K Leather Works
by Gina McKnight
Archived from the January 2022 Issue of Florida Equine Athlete
No Duplication Without Permission
 
There are many web-based horse businesses, but my favorite is Double K Leather Works! I have interviewed Kira Karpinski, the proprietor, twice now. Her work is the best out there! Last summer Kira created a custom breast collar for my mare. I love it! I recommend Kira’s work and her undivided attention to detail. Her work is quality, unique, and definitely durable.
 
Welcome, Kira!
 
GM: Happy New Year! What are your goals for 2022?
KK:  Happy New Year to you as well! In 2022, I’d like to really build up my inventory and start attending more vendor shows, and maybe do some live sales on Facebook. I love interacting with customers, and I have a lot of really fun ideas I can’t wait to see come to fruition.
 
GM: Has the pandemic/COVID impacted your business?
KK:  Yes, I’d say it has. As our economy has taken a turn, not as many people are spending money for frivolous items such as custom leather when they can find more inexpensive or second hand items. I still have an amazing customer base, but I’ve noticed an impact. I was also building momentum with the vendor sales I had started to attend, and all of those ceased. I am looking forward to going back when things look a bit more normal. Let’s go 2022!
 
GM: Your leatherwork is amazing! What are you currently creating?
KK:  Thank you so much! Currently I am wrapping up the last custom orders I have on my plate and working on a few stock items. I am very excited about a huge project I have planned, I’ll be starting that in January. I just finished up building Props (not equine related) for a movie being filmed in Pittsburgh. That was really exciting as well!
 
GM: Movie Props! We will be looking forward to seeing your creations! Last time we talked, Cinch, your 18 year old Grade QH gelding was your main ride. Do you still have Cinch? Is he still your go-to horse?
KK:  I sure do! He is my best guy, I love him dearly and he will be with me until his last breath. He is semi-retired now, due to contracting heaves. But he is really doing much better, so I’m considering getting him back into condition for this coming year. I did get a new horse, her name is Sonset Boulevard, aka Athena. She is a 6 year old Arabian mare, and I am absolutely OBSESSED with her! She is my pride and joy.
 
GM: Everyone is into the TV series "Yellowstone" and all the horses. Personally, I am not a fan. Are you? If you are, what do you like best about the show?
KK:  I have actually never seen an episode of it! I don’t have a huge amount of spare time with my business and being a full time farmer, but when I do watch something it’s usually history based or something with a medieval theme.
 
GM: What was your latest tattoo?
KK:  Oh I love tattoos! I haven’t gotten one lately, the last one I got was some pillar candles as a filler on my sleeve. I still have room to finish that up and I am thinking about a raven or deaths head moth. Then I can start planning more, I’d love a gothic style lantern!
 
GM: Keep doing what you do because your leatherwork is the best out there. What would you like everyone to know about Double K Leatherworks?
KK: Thank you so much! I just want everyone to keep watching because I feel like I’m just getting started. I will have something for everyone! From Barrel Racers to cosplayers, and people too!
 
GM: List 10 things your fans may not know about you...
KK:  This is tough haha…
I have 4 children.
I cyber school all of them and have for 7 years.
I have been married for almost 17 years.
I live in Pennsylvania.
I attended College for a short period with a pre-med major.
I was in the Army Reserves for a short period (honorable discharge, that’s a whole story for another time lol).
I have been riding horses since I was 2.
I was a cheerleader from 4th grade through collage (that usually shocks people lol).
I was a pageant girl as a child and held several titles.
I am completely self-taught in the leather field.
 
Connect with Kira:
Website: www.doublekleatherworks.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/double_k_leather_works/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DoubleKLeatherWorks/






No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...