Friday, February 4, 2022

An Interview with Ohio Author Doug Coates

 

An Interview with Ohio Author Doug Coates

Residing in Hamilton, Ohio, author Doug Coates is a past Treasurer and Board Member of the Joe Nuxhall Miracle League Fields in Fairfield, Ohio. Coates is an Ohioana participant and attends book festivals throughout Ohio. From Coates’ bio:
 
Coates enjoys spending time with his family and grandkids, reading, writing, MLB, college and pro football, beach vacations, and classic autos. Coates has over twenty years of coaching little league, softball, and girls’ high school fast-pitch softball. He gives interactive character presentations using his book to elementary schools and groups throughout Ohio and Northern Kentucky.
 
Welcome, Doug!
 
GM: What is the premise for your new book?
DC: My third book continues the theme of good character growth and development for young people. (I market it to elementary students.) This book, temporarily untitled, depicts an inner city boys' baseball team and all the issues they have with many opponents stereotyping them as to income, lack of ambition, thug-like mentalities, etc. The coach strives to teach character and grow their baseball skills and to ignore such behavior by other teams, parents, coaches, etc. The team has a banner year going undefeated and learning much more than baseball along the way.
 
GM: How do you maintain thoughts and ideas?
DC: I maintain constants through the books with the idea that repetition of good sportsmanship and attitudes will continue to grow and spread among one's peers, family and friends.
 
GM: Where do you like to write?
DC: Primarily my office at home. I try not to write on the couch where it is too comfy and tempting to turn on television or be distracted.
 
GM: Do you have a muse or other inspiration that sparks creative ideas?
DC: My experiences as a board member and treasurer of the Joe Nuxhall Miracle League (a facility for special needs children and adults to play their own brand of baseball and more) exposed me to the trials and sometimes traumas of special needs, be it mental and/or physical. If I was still coaching sports, I would do things much differently and not take for granted simple things like sore arms from my baseball pitcher, compared to the little girl in a wheelchair 24x7, just wanting to participate like her normal sibling.
 
GM: What are you currently reading?
DC: I happen to be reading a book by a friend of mine who was a local sports writer for many years and it is his compilation of interviews and notes with the late, great Joe Nuxhall.
 
GM: Do you have advice for novice writers?
DC: Write daily if you can, whether it is ten minutes or two hours. If you're not writing, work on marketing and getting ready for presentations, book signings etc. All the effort each day will pay off.
 
GM: Please share your book marketing secrets...
DC: I wish I had some. I've experienced some successes and awareness of my book through contacting children librarians via LinkedIn.
 
GM: List 10 things your fans may not know about you...
DC: 1.  I coached baseball and softball at the rec level and high school level for over 20 years.
2.  I played softball till I was in my 50's
3.  I'm a children's author. Yes, that surprises many as they think a children's author is a little old lady, sometimes.
4. I love classic cars, mostly from the 50's and 60's. Like the kid in me, I collect Matchbox cars of the same, just because.
5. Salmon, red wine and pasta!
6. I suffered a major heart-attack in November of 2018. I shouldn't be here said the surgeon to my partner, Karen. There is a reason...my work here is unfinished.
7. I was born in the state of Wyoming, lived in North Africa till I was age 4, and the rest of my life in Ohio.
8.  I was part of a musical tour after high school and we played 5 concerts in Europe: Switzerland, Italy, Germany and Austria.
9. I enjoy genealogy studies and have traced back my father's side to 1788.
10. I have 5 grandchildren, 2 on the west coast and 3 here locally.
 
Connect with Doug Coates:
Author:
1. Riley's Winning Catch; Good Character Prevails - Amazon Paperback and e-book format available!
2. Pitching for Success: Character Lessons, the Joe Nuxhall Way - Amazon
 
Website: Author Doug Coates
Facebook: DougCoatesOhio
Amazon Author Page
Author interview-YouTube 4-2021
Ohioana.org
Linkedin








No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...