Thursday, March 3, 2016

Robert J. Moreau, World Artist

© Robert J. Moreau


World Artist

The amazing artwork of artist Robert J. Moreau reflects his inner thoughts, ideas of life, witty wisdom, and personal reflections. Each piece engages and intrigues, mesmerizing the eye.

An artist for over twenty years, Moreau enjoys drawing collaboratively every week with his D,D, and D (Dinner, Drink, and Draw) colleague, Lewis Troxell. Moreau writes, “I have dozens of sketchbooks full of Collaborative Doodles that I have drawn with dozens (if not hundreds) of people. Last summer Lewis took me to Dublin, Paris, London, and Rome (one week in each place!) and I had the chance to draw with strangers from Europe!”

Connect with Moreau and view his captivating artwork at visualaids.org.

© Robert J. Moreau
About the Artist
I was born in Fall River, Massachusetts, USA. I grew up in nearby, rural Westport, Massachusetts. I lived there until I was 18. Went off to Embry Riddle University, Daytona Beach, Florida, dropped out after three months and joined the army.

I moved to Los Angeles in 1985 from El Paso, Texas, right after my service in the Army (Ft. Bliss).  I had been a tank driver for 2 years!  When I came to L.A., I didn't know anyone. I had no place to stay. I had never been out here before, but I was confident that with my experience as a tank driver, I'd have no problem finding work. Actually, I came out because I wanted to be a comedic actor. I tried stand-up and some improve but... I just didn't have the drive.

I went back to college in 1986. I graduated from Ottis/Parsons in 1990. I taught 3rd grade at a private school for two years. I worked as a substitute teacher for the next 12 years; when finally, all the stars lined up and I was sucked into the black hole that is public education. Don't get me wrong. I love teaching and have always had wonderful students that I have appreciated dearly. I have had the amazing opportunity to design my own classroom and program; but, my god! The insults, injuries and stupidity that we endure as teachers...

© Robert J. Moreau
I was once picked up by L.A. County Museum Art Rentals gallery back in 1994. I always thought that my art would be judged on its intrinsic qualities but it is obvious that the patrons want to meet the artist and I wasn't "playing the game". 

So... after two or three exhibitions, I blew off (even though two of my works had been rented-to-own), I was informed that the relationship was not working out. The rented work was returned and I was removed from their stable.  :) I feel I blew my "Big Break" because I thought the museum had "discovered my work".  As though they can see through the sea of Art and discover anything truly new or truly unique. A rejection of the Warhol World of Art where celebrity outweighs talent! They only want to pimp you out. I suppose if the patrons like YOU, then you will be a successful artist. Good job L.A. County Museum of Art. That was 22 years ago. I am still so excited with my work. Just goes to show... Well, you may think my attitude is one of sour grapes. Oh contra, I prefer to think of it as a case of Pearls Before Swine! Whore my work after I'm dead, LACMA! 

It's been over 13 years that I have been living with AIDS and teaching in a public high school- not too scary! Back in 1998 I was diagnosed with Kaposi Sarcoma and Pneumocystis Pneumonia. Shortly after the diagnosis, I went back to school and got my teaching credential. Within two years, I received a Perkins Grant for a quarter of a million dollars to plan, build and implement a state-of-the-art high school computer animation class. My students have now uploaded over 380 animation clips to YouTube (Our YouTube channel: rrrstudio roosevelt). There are also clips of various V.I.P's visiting our classroom from former L.A. Mayor Richard Reardon (Brrrrrrr!) to celebrated animator, Jennifer Shiman. I am extremely proud of the program that I built and I do love teaching, but I hope one day to be able to retire from teaching and be a full-time artist (there would be less scary germs in my life, I think. :)...


 To purchase Moreau's artwork visit visualaids.org

© Robert J. Moreau
© Robert J. Moreau
© Robert J. Moreau

4 comments:

Robert J. Moreau said...

Looks Excellent!
Thank you!
Robert J. Moreau

Gina said...

Hi Robert!
Best wishes always,
Gina

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling me about your interview.

Lewis

N Lane said...

Hi There ..Not sure if this is the same RobertI knew years ago in LA .Neil lane
nal7272@gmail.com

Milliron Monday: Letters Home Oct 10 1960

          Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:   June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010 Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1...