Monday, September 18, 2023

Milliron Monday: Letters Home Feb 27 1960

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"One thing I could use, though, would be a pair of maternity Levi's."
― Jody Smith

Jody's letter home to Mansfield, Ohio. Backstory: Pooh is Pete and Jody's cat. Jody is four months pregnant, in her last quarter at Colorado State, and continues to ride Starboy. 

917 Remington
Fort Collins, Colorado
Sunday, February 27, 1960

Hi All,
    Thanks for the recent letters. Looks as though you've been traveling about quite a bit. Thanks also for the clippings, magazine articles, etc., the one on names was particularly interesting.
    Am returning the insurance policy form. What is it for anyhow? I didn't even know you had it. It seems kind of silly to be paying on it now if it's life insurance for me.
    Glad to hear that you got to see Arlo and Virginia. Hope they're going through Colorado sometime and can stop here.
    We've been having lots of cold weather and some snow. I hitched Starboy up to the sleigh this afternoon (I converted the cart) and we really skimmed over the fields but there isn't enough snow on the roads.
    Haven't received the shirts or blue checked dress you mentioned, but they will probably show up soon. 
    Pete gave Pooh a bath this evening, much to Pooh's dismay. He's still quite upset with us.
    We're still enjoying the ham, Jess; fried with eggs for breakfast and cold for sandwiches.
    Thank heavens this quarter is nearly over, only one more week of classes and then finals. So far, I've managed to move the buttons over on my skirts and wear bulky sweaters so I haven't been wearing maternity clothes. I'm afraid I'll have to begin putting them on after spring vacation
    In answer to your question as to whether or not I need anything, I think you're more than amply supplying me. One thing I could use, though, would be a pair of maternity Levi's since I hate to wear those nice black slacks you sent out to the barn. My old Levi's still fit but they're sure getting snug. If they don't sell them "back east" I can probably get them here through Sears catalogue. 
Love, 
Jody
     
Previous Letters Home: 

~  ~ 

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

Milliron Monday: The Recordings 1

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:   June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010 Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May ...