Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Partridge in a Pear Tree - Story and Art by Sandra Russell

 
Partridge in a Pear Tree - Story and Art by Sandra Russell

The Twelve Days of Christmas is a familiar Christmas Carol to many. I recently read that all the seemingly silly gifts were actually coded messages for some churches to keep traditions unique to them but forbidden by other Christian sects. The four calling birds for example, are said to represent Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. 
   
As far as the pear tree and the partridge, it is most often repeated part of this round, and it is also "the first and the last" gift, and the "first and the last" part of the song. So in symbol and in structure the song is representing Jesus Christ. The partridge is a mother, and the pear is also somewhat feminine in shape and color, so one would be tempted to see Mary here? But in many old depictions of the Christ child, he is shown holding a pear. A pear tree produces fruit for many decades and seems to live forever. In fact, a few years ago, I was surprised to revisit an old pear tree from my childhood, and to pick a pear, still good to eat from one lonely seemingly dead branch. There was only one pear on the tree, and that was the one with one large perfect pear, still hanging from it. I felt it was waiting there for me, as all the field around it was grown up with brambles and brush, fires had wiped out the other trees, but there it stood, and one year after a long absence I returned to claim it.

Anyhow, back to the song. The pear tree represents the cross, and the partridge represents Jesus, because he died for his 'children' as the Partridge is said to sacrifice herself for her young. But also, the pear tree represents enduring life, eternal life, and perhaps only the appearance of death. I love pear trees, as had happy memories in what once was an orchard, I would ride the farm horse (Prince) around the hills, and stop for a pear or two, before our final descent to the barn, the sun would be setting behind us in a minute, but a sweet pear stop would take us home.



No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...