Thursday, December 1, 2022

Riding in Belize: An Interview with Kathryn Vanderpol

Kathryn Vanderpol, Equestrian

Riding in Belize: An Interview with Kathryn Vanderpol
by Gina McKnight
Archived from the November 2022 issue of Florida Equine Athlete
No duplication without permission.

“For those buying their first horse, don't go for looks,

any horse can be an amazing teacher and
with your first that's what you need.” Kathryn Vanderpol

Welcome horse trainer Kathryn Vanderpol! A horse owner at a young age, Kathryn knows the joys of owning horses. Currently in Belize, Kathryn provides insight to Belize’s indigenous horses, her own beautiful stable of horses, her new Heeler pup, and more!

From Kathryn’s Instagram bio “Christian, farm girl, cowgirl. All the horses and a dog. Canada to the tropics. Makin’ a crazy neat life in Belize.”

Welcome, Kathryn!

GM: From your bio, I take it you are from Canada, an artist, working in leather, moved to Texas, now in Belize training horses, with a new puppy! Tell us about a day in your life with horses…

KV: Hey, thanks so much for reaching out! Yes, I'm from Canada where I had my own custom leather working business, and after a 5-month road trip in the USA, recently moved to Belize. Here in Belize I have been boarding my horses, so I don't always get to see them every day with work and such. On days I do work them I try and get in as much time as possible to improve my own horsemanship and their training. The horses I currently own are Jaz, a 10-year-old black Quarter Horse mare; Ice, a coming 3-year-old chestnut Quarter Horse filly; Dually, a 6-year-old chestnut mare, and her foal a 3ish-month-old chestnut filly. They all keep me pretty busy, along with a few of my friend's horses that I've had the privilege of riding as well.

GM: A seasoned horse trainer, what training methods do you use?

KV: I do use a lot of natural horsemanship, mixed with my own ideas and things that I've found work. I find that each horse is so different and so then requires different training techniques. One horse may do amazingly well with positive reinforcement (like treat training), while another with a different past will do so much better with a different kind of reinforcement (more like pressure and release). While I never had the funds or means to go to clinics or buy online courses to learn how to train, I watched countless hours of videos of other people training, watching what worked and what most definitely did not work, read books, talked to other horse enthusiasts, and naturally learned from mistakes I made and watching other people’s mistakes and trying to take any bit of information and put it to use in my own training.

GM: Belize has indigenous horses, I believe. Is the horse culture different than in the US and Canada? How is it different?

KV: The horse culture here in Belize is so very different than any I have seen. Horses are still used as a means of transportation, especially for some of the Mennonites, as well as being used for a lot of ranch work. Horse racing is probably the biggest sport with horses down here, along with a few rodeos a couple times a year. There is very little to no English riding, so it's interesting to see the differences here.

GM: We all have that favorite horse that we will remember forever. Who is your favorite and when did you first meet him/her?

KV: There sure is always a favorite horse! Out of all the horses I have owned probably the most vivid to remember was my 3-year-old Quarter/Arab black gelding, Link. He was never an easy horse, he was always super mischievous and would find ways to be naughty. Link was a dream to ride by the time I had to sell him.

Right now out of the horses I currently own, Dually is my favorite. She was my first horse buy in Belize, I knew the second I saw her at the local horse auction that she was coming home with me. She's taller than a lot of the rancher's horses, and nice and sturdy. She foaled 3-4ish months after I bought her, and the foal is Hemi, the cutest little filly ever.

GM: When did you meet your very first horse?

KV: My first horse was a miniature horse named Minnie that my parents gave me as a birthday present. I had her for two years before moving on to bigger horses. Lots of people say that miniatures are no fun and you can't do anything with them, but I learned so much from training her and she taught me a lot about body language and how much it affects everything you do.

GM: Minnie sounds cute. What do you miss the most about living in Canada?

KV: With this time of year coming around I miss the cooler Fall days, the looking forward to snow and frisky horses. Along with the availability of good quality horse items, tack, quality feeds, and brushes, literally anything is hard to find and basically has to be ordered from the USA.

GM: Living in the USA, we take for granted the availability of a variety of supplies. You remind us that we need to remain grateful for what we have. I saw a photo of your new puppy on Instagram! She’s adorable! Tell us more…

KV: My puppy, Sage, she's a Red Heeler (basically the same as a Blue Heeler just in red). She is a handful. I was warned about getting a Heeler and went for it anyways, I’m so glad I did. She is the sweetest dog, and super smart. I realized a couple of weeks ago that I had to find something to do with her to get rid of some of her energy, so we've been working on learning some frisbee and she's loving it.

GM: Heeler’s do have a certain disposition! But every cowgirl needs a trusty dog. Back to horses…do you have advice for novice riders and those looking to purchase their first horse?

KV: Find someone to help you, a friend who's known horses longer, a trainer, a farrier, really anyone. Reach out and don't be shy, everyone has to start and it's nothing to be ashamed of, your attitude in learning is what will help your progress go faster or slower. If you're willing to learn and open-minded you will get so much farther than if you think you already know it all. It's so helpful to have someone you can ask questions and advice from. For those buying their first horse, don't go for looks, any horse can be an amazing teacher and with your first that's what you need.

GM: What does horsemanship mean to you?

KV: Horsemanship is really an art, something to be mastered, something you will always be able to improve on. Being able to work with horses is truly a gift and something some people take for granted. Something I always try to remember when working horses, or posting about it on Instagram, is that there are people watching, wishing they could be doing that very thing and that I was once there. So being able to share what I do and to hopefully inspire some people (even if that's just one person) to try and get out there and do the same is just amazing.

Follow Kathryn on Instagram: @lopin_easy





Dually and Hemi 


No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...