Saturday, November 12, 2022

Fred Rutter, Author

 

An Interview with Ohio Author Fred Rutter

From Ohio USA, Fred Rutter “has lived in central Ohio his whole life, and resides in a small rural town in a very old and funky house along with his wife and a number of cats. This has served as a convenient location to travel the country extensively. Writing and photography have both been hobbies since adolescence.”

Welcome, Fred!

GM: What's the premise for your book?

FR: Hitting the Road Without a Map covers a lot of ground, both literally and emotionally (pun intended). A sudden and unplanned trip from Ohio to Oregon serves as the catalyst to face one's personal fears and to actually practice living in the moment. The heart of the book, however, recounts a memorable road trip across the country through the eyes of two Midwesterners from the edge of Appalachia. That alone provides a unique perspective - different from other travel books by writers from either coast. With little preparation, two acquaintances agree to drive a mutual friend's huge RV to her new home in the Pacific Northwest. That sounds easy and straightforward, yet it proved to be anything but that. Instead of getting bogged down by the challenges, the two make a conscious decision to view the whole experience as an opportunity for growth.

GM: What is the main idea you would like readers to take away from your book?
FR: Not to let yourself become paralyzed into indecision by personal fears. They must be analyzed and faced head-on, or else a person does not grow. Also, to embrace life and live in the moment. Good planning has its place, but nature and life prove to be very hard to micro-manage. When one persists in trying to control everything, frustration and disappointment are the likely results - not only for the person doing the controlling, but for everyone else in close proximity. We have to wear life like a loose garment.

GM: How do you maintain thoughts and ideas?
FR: The core of this book was an actual event, and fortunately I decided to keep a journal! I had a feeling this trip would be unique, and I wanted to remember it, so I wrote and collected stuff along the way. That, by itself, does not create a book. I had to find a story arc to make the tale engaging - otherwise the result would have been a travelogue diary, which I find get rather tedious. That meant I had to dig deep to examine my feelings, and those of others, because emotions are part of all experiences whether we acknowledge them or not. I thought about all these aspects of my life, and jotted them down in an outline.

The tough part for a writer is discovery, during the first draft, that some thoughts and ideas are not working, or the way they are expressed on the page do not work. Editing and rewriting can be discouraging, in that regard! But the premise of the book was one of opportunity, so I had to apply that same perspective to my writing process. The process of rewriting and editing is an opportunity to more clearly lay out what one wants to say. Sometimes the outline has to be deviated from, and other times it has to be scrapped altogether and started anew. It would be the height of hubris to think my first pass is the ultimate expression of what I am trying to portray.

GM: Describe your writing workspace and writing process...
FR: Over the years my workspace has moved from a tablet - a real paper one, not electronic, on the kitchen table, to my personal computer in an office space in my little house. I thought I could never leave the handwritten word, for I believed that process slowed my mind down sufficiently to gather my thoughts and set them down properly. Work communications in my paying job cured me of that, since things had to be set down quickly and sent out. I still frequently create an outline on paper for various projects, but the actual writing process now takes place on my computer. As to how the story is written, my non-fiction narratives are linear in time, and tend to be written the same way - as opposed to jumping around on a timeline. I do the best job I can, but am comfortable in knowing a first draft is just that - a draft, not the finished work.

In addition to my computer, I have a library of reference books near at hand, as well as pen and paper. Some flashes of insight are best scribbled down quickly, and saved for later. My office has a window. I can write anywhere, but my old library table purchased from a thrift store, and my nearby window, make for a comfortable place to write on a consistent basis. My brain can fabricate enough distractions by itself, so I like a quiet space where I can think and reflect. Sometimes I just need to stare out the window while ideas coalesce.

GM: How do current events and your environment play a role in storyline scenarios and final drafts?
FR: Primarily I write non-fiction narrative and historical pieces. Therefore, current events frequently creep into whatever I am working on because they impact the story, or become the story itself. I live in southeast central Ohio, in a small town on the edge of Appalachia, so that environment plays a big role in what I write. As a non-fiction writer, that environment impacts my perspective, and is one that I like to celebrate whenever I can, or when it seems appropriate.

GM: Where in the world is your favorite place to be?
FR: I like to travel, and have been to many corners of our country, but there is more to see. As a child I spent every summer in New England, so I have had prolonged exposure to other regions, but I find comfort and peace in Ohio - especially the hills of Southeast Ohio. I can be comfortable most anywhere, as my book attests, but rural Appalachia is my favorite, because it is home. My roots are here. Traveling to other places, either near or far, is enjoyable, but I like returning home. My cats like the fact I always come home, too!

GM: Please share a passage from your book that will give readers an insight to your book...
FR: An excerpt from Chapter 7, titled "Wind". It is a Midwesterner's observation of a section of Wyoming that we were driving through.

Hay appeared to be the major agricultural commodity. Farms were crude affairs, not the major building complexes we were used to seeing in Ohio, with neat, fenced fields and several crops.  Actually, most of the scattered houses were similar to what we had observed in South Dakota, meaning ragged looking modular houses with homemade additions, abandoned cars, trucks, trailers, appliances, and snow mobiles strewn about the property, plus one or two small low barns, and a huge stack of jumbo-size hay bales to feed unseen livestock through the long winter months. In a way, it looked like Appalachia in eastern and southeastern Ohio, with the exception of the giant hay bales and snowmobile carcasses, exception of the giant hay bales and snowmobile carcasses, and replacing our dense vegetation, steep hills and hollows with flatness, scrub grass and sage brush. There would also be a cluster of low trees around these visions of human chaos. How any of this provided an income, let alone a living wage, was a total mystery. The always present scattering of vehicles made it hard to tell which one was the primary mode of transportation, and which ones died where they sat. Rarely were any people visible, but if they were, they were men near an open barn door, or near a pickup truck or trailer, and what activity was being conducted remained obscure. It was the familiar look of a mean life and poverty - where you do not get rid of anything because it might prove useful later, or cost too much to haul away. Any cost is too much when living hand to mouth, day to day. Having lived that way during my drinking years, I understood the mindset, for to some extent it is still with me today.



GM: Do you have advice for novice writers?
FR: Write, write, write! Rewrite and edit what you have written, then read it aloud. If I stumble while reading aloud, then the pacing or the wording is off, and needs to be corrected. Write about what interests you for it will make the process easier at first, then take on more challenging writing projects in order to become more flexible and skilled in the process.

GM: List 10 things that your fans may not know about you...
FR: I am a collector. That covers a lot of ground - from old, marked paving bricks to old postcards, ashtrays, advertising paperweights, and more. I am an alcoholic, and actively participate in a program of recovery, and have decades of sobriety, but do not get complacent about that fact, so work daily to improve my life and those around me.

Connect with Fred…

which contains book excerpts, sample photographs, author blog, and links to purchase through bookstores and Amazon

author blog:    https://blog.hittingtheroadwithoutamap.com

the blog has no consistent theme, other than what pops up in my brain from time to time, which means it is mostly experiential in nature.  One piece of fiction is on the blog, but people believed it was true, even though in the story my car slid off a snowy road into the Rock Mill gorge of the Hocking River, where I died. Friends asked how I was doing, and if my car got totaled. Obviously they really had not read the story,  so I probably will not do that again.

 

No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...