Tuesday, November 1, 2022

CowBiter: An Interview with Jesse Karlberg


CowBiter: An Interview with Jesse Karlberg
By Gina McKnight
Archived from the October 2022 edition of Florida Equine Athlete

“Don't be afraid to fall off, cuz if you ride horses, 
it's gonna happen. Just get back on and try again.” 
~ Jesse Karlberg

In the heart of the USA lives Coozie, a good-looking, hard-working Quarter Horse mare. An Instagram sensation, Coozie is better known as “CowBiter” – she nips at the behinds of cows who aren’t paying attention. Coozie belongs to Jesse Karlberg, a Nebraska cowgirl who creates stunning mohair tack accessories (I just purchased a breast collar for my mare, Zubie). The mohair is soft, the designs are unique with a western motif, and I know Jesse puts her heart into each one. I caught up with Jesse to find out more about her creative endeavors and her mare, Coozie!

Welcome, Jesse!

GM: Your insta page is super! Tell us about "CowBiter"!
JK: CowBiter: (noun) a buckskin mare with an immense disliking for slow moving cattle. 
That is how I would describe Coozie, AKA CowBiter. She is a short, stout, Quarter Horse mare whose registered name is Keepit In Your Koozie. But don't let her name fool you, she's actually a really sweet horse. She has a nice, kind eye and always looking for scratches, and maybe a handout or two.

GM: She’s adorable! What other horses do you stable?
JK: Here on the ranch, we have about a dozen other ranch horses that we use for cattle work. We try to keep things traditional and use horses instead of 4-wheelers to move/work the cattle.

GM: I adore your handiwork. My new breast collar is beautiful! What materials do you use?
JK: Thank you! I started making mohair cinches a little over a year ago and have gradually learned to make other pieces as well. I love making breast collars, as well as purse straps and nosebands for halters. Mohair is a natural fiber made from the hair of an Angora goat. It is very soft and comfortable and great for horses who may have sensitive skin.

GM: Do you have a favorite piece of tack of your own creation? 
JK: One of the first breast collars I made was for my husbands' horse. His leather one had broken and I wanted to make him something to match his saddle pad. It has been one of my favorite designs. It also has held up really well from all the day-to-day use.

GM: What advice do you have for novice riders and those looking to purchase their first horse?
JK: Everyone has to start somewhere. Don't be intimidated. I actually grew up on a small acreage just outside of town and had zero cattle experience. Then I married my rancher husband and moved here to the ranch where I was 45 minutes from "the big city", has zero cell phone service, and only 5 T.V. stations on a good day. I was kinda thrown into the ranch horse world, but I just went with it. I learned to read the cattle and read my horse. It's been a learning experience 11 years in the making. Don't be afraid to fall off, cuz if you ride horses, it's gonna happen. Just get back on and try again. 

GM: Great advice for every rider! Do you have a favorite horse anecdote to share?
JK: Growing up, I was your typical horse crazy kid. I had all the Grand Champion model horses, plus the giant barn to stall them in. I could play for hours with them. But what was even better than the model horses, were the real thing. I was fortunate to have a couple of the best babysitter horses to grow up on. My best friend and I had no fear. We would gallop full speed, bareback nonetheless, down our back roads and made trails through the hills to each other's houses. We would even set up homemade jumps with PVC pipe and lawn chairs and tried to get our lazy ponies to "jump" them. I remember the day my dad put an actual saddle on my horse for me to ride in and I was SO upset that he was making me use a saddle. In my opinion it was so restrictive and just not fair. Haha, oh to be a kid again. Pretty sure if I tried to ride bareback today, at the age I am now, I wouldn't be able to walk straight for weeks.

GM: Ha! Yes, the older we get, the less we ride bareback. When did you first meet Coozie?
JK: I met Coozie for the first time when she was four years old. She was an ungainly little thing and wasn't much to look at. I really didn't think too much of her, honestly. My dad and sister actually trained her to ride and started her on team sorting/penning.
Eventually, she moved out to the ranch with me to be my main mount, since my current horse was getting older and was looking at retirement. And I'll tell you what, she was sassy! It was a learning curve for us both to figure each other out. But we kept at it and now she has proven her worth. She doesn't get hot, she's built like a brick house, she has wicked cow sense, and is a beautiful dapple buckskin to boot.

GM: What does horsemanship mean to you?
JK: Horsemanship is more than just saddling up and riding. It's understanding your horse both in the saddle and on the ground. You have to remember, horses have their own mind and thoughts. It takes time to make a connection with your horse and figure out their quirks and habits. True horsemanship is understanding and communicating with your horse, not using fear or force. But being on a one-on-one level.

Connect with Jesse:
Instagram @ cowbiter_cinches and @cinch920












No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...