Monday, November 7, 2022

Milliron Monday: Arnold Palmer

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"I used to get tired of drinking iced tea, so I'd ask my wife if we had some lemonade, and I would just dump it right in there."
― Arnold Palmer

We had Pony Club today at my barn. My friends arrived about 10 am, visited with my farrier, then we went to the local Mexican restaurant for lunch. We all ordered iced tea, which made me think of Jody. Whenever Jody was out to eat, she always ordered an Arnold Palmer.

Until I met Jody, I didn't know what an Arnold Palmer was. "Isn't he an old-timer golfer?" I asked. Jody smiled and said, "Yes. He had so many good attributes." 

If you don't know, an Arnold Palmer is equal parts of unsweetened iced tea and lemonade served over ice. Depending upon the lemonade, it can be tart. The Winnie Palmer (named for Arnold's wife) is served with sweetened iced tea and lemonade. I prefer Winnie's recipe, but probably could do without the sugar. Eventually, the breweries came out with a spiked version - Arnold Palmer Spiked - that I've never tried.

As we ate lunch, we talked about Jody and how much she would have enjoyed our company. She was like that, one of us, a horse-girl, not concerned about coifs, barn shoes, stable odors, or horse hairs. She would have ordered an Arnold Palmer.

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

This Week @ Monday Creek: History and Cosmos

  The Ides of March came and went without much ado. Falling on the 15 th of March, it was a significant date in ancient Rome. It gained not...