Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Rene Gutteridge, Author

Rene Gutteridge is an author, speaker, and more. She writes comedy sketches, and has worked as a Director of Drama. She has a degree specializing in Screenwriting, for which she earned the Excellence in Mass Communication Award.  She is married to Sean, a musician and worship leader, and has two children. They reside in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, where Rene writes full time and enjoys instructing in college classrooms and writers conferences.

Welcome Rene!

When did you realize you wanted to become a writer?

I was one of those kids that was always writing.  I didn't think about it as being a career until I was in college, and I think that was a good thing. It allowed me to just write whatever I wanted and not care.  I have a lot of parents ask me what they should be doing to help their kids make it as writers and I always answer, "Just let them write, write, write."  They're always concerned that they're starting a new idea and not finishing the old one.  That's okay.  I didn't finish an entire novel until I was in college.

What is the first book you remember reading?

Probably one of Judy Blume's books, the ones for kids.

Are there any books that have made an impact on your life's journey?

I think I'm impacted by most books I read.  I'm always impacted by theological books, which I love to read.  But there are many other books that help me understand life, understand me, understand my fellow human being.  Most recently, the book Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, deeply impacted me.

What books have you written?

I've actually now written twenty-one books.  It's hard to believe! I still remember getting the call that my first one, Ghost Writer, was going to be published!

Do you have a favorite place to write?

I typically just write at home.  It's the place with the least distractions.  But occasionally I'll wander out and write at a coffee shop.

How do you maintain thoughts and ideas?

I used to be able to store them all in my head, but I'm older now so I rely on sticky notes and an idea journal.  But I pay most attention to ideas that stick with me and that I can't shake or that I don't forget.  Those are the ones that I start thinking about in terms of actually writing it.

What are you currently writing?

I'm about to finish a family drama called Just 18 Summers, which is a novelization.  Fans of the show Parenthood will really enjoy this book.  I just released two new novels.  For suspense fans, Misery Loves Company.  For fans of contemporary drama, Heart of the Country, which is a novelization of the movie.

List 10 random facts about yourself that people may not know...

Ten?  I don't think I'm that interesting!! 

I used to play basketball in high school.  I'm very short so people usually don't believe me.

I live in Moore, Oklahoma, where the May 20th tornado hit.  

Most of my college writing training was in screenwriting, not novel writing.

I'm prone to unusual kitchen accidents.

I only have six songs on my playlist.

I wrote and co-produced a movie called SKID, based on my novel, which will be out next year.  It's in post-production.

Follow Rene…

4 comments:

mikon said...

If you have the courage to write unique contents all the time so www.sentencecorrector.biz/not-boring-jokes-about-english-grammar can be a help for you and you can share your deals there.

stoya riley said...

Above recordings are great and exceptionally intriguing to see. I truly love to come this site because of its novel exertion done here. There is great and most pertinent stuff found here. In any case, I endeavor to visit the website yet this will be sound one of a kind methodology found here.

visit this website said...

this is is best to do that I like this so much and also have the best time for me in my hand. So that i have so much time for writing like this. thanks for this post.

Emma Quillen said...

Such a good post, This is an incredible possibility and all of the social occasions are keeping a tight grip on pass on their organizations. I don't understand what they will do yet it is a greatly radiant possibility. Now click over here and get more info about this post.

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...