Thursday, August 1, 2024

Famous Farrier: An Interview with Steven Kraus, CJF


Famous Farrier: An Interview with Steven Kraus, CJF

by Gina McKnight
Archived from the July 2024 issue of Florida Equine Athlete www.floridaequineathlete.com
No duplication without permission.

“All horse shoeing is about problem solving.”
Steven Kraus, CJF

Living in Ohio, we have two major equestrian events that I like to frequent - Equine Affaire in the Spring, and the Quarter Horse Congress in the Fall. Both are equally educational and extremely fun!

Attending Equine Affaire this past Spring, we watched as Steven Kraus, Certified Journeyman Farrier (CJF), from New York, present an informative session. His background and experience with horses is extensive. Kraus is the Head of Farrier Services at Cornell University. Besides being a famous farrier, he is an avid rider and polo player, owning and training polo ponies.

In 2016, Kraus was inducted into the International Horseshoeing Hall Of Fame in Louisville, Kentucky.

Welcome, Steven!

GM: When was your first encounter with a horse?

SK: My first encounter with a horse was actually a pony at age 5. My family spent the summers on the north shore of Long Island. My father would come out on weekends and want to do things with me. In the village of Rocky Point there was a riding stable that offered pony rides. He took me there every weekend. When I was 6 I had enough balance for us to rent horses there and go on a trail ride. We did that regularly and by the time I was 10, I went off to a summer camp that specialized in horsemanship. 

GM: A great start, Steve; summer camp and horses! Why did you choose to become a farrier? 
SK: A feature of that summer camp was taking care of a horse for the summer. In the stable area I saw shoeing being done and I was hooked at age 14. I pursued that every summer working there through high school and college. I supported myself by shoeing horses while was an undergrad at Cornell University. By the time I graduated I had a full time business so I just keep shoeing.

GM: The physical demands of bending and reaching must take a toll on the body. I watch my farrier bend and twist, wondering how he can be so flexible. Besides being flexible, you probably have to be constantly focused because a horse may jump or bolt. What do you do to stay physically and mentally prepared?
SK: Yes, the physical demands of farriery can be demanding, in many ways and sometimes the limiting factor on one's career. I have a stretching routine with a physio ball every morning and swim regularly. I have always tried to keep in shape beyond shoeing. As a lifelong rider and polo player, riding hard regularly helps also.

GM: Have you encountered a horse that will not cooperate? What do you do in such a case?
SK: Early in my career, shoeing horses in rural New York, it was expected that farriers should be able to deal with uncooperative, dangerous horses. I learned some tricks to deal with them. However, the more you shoe dangerous horses successfully, the more of them you get. I received many requests to do these horses and most of them became better to work with after some training, once we got over the initial stages. There is a difference between an uncooperative, untrained horse and a really dangerous horse. I walked away in those few cases. Now, working at the Equine Hospital at Cornell, I have lots of vets available to sedate unruly horses. In my 60 years of shoeing, I have had minor injuries, but never anything serious. I have been hurt more playing polo!

GM: When trouble-shooting a hoof problem, what do you look for first? 
SK: That depends on the situation. Is it an injury or a chronic lameness or a disease process. Knowing what is normal helps to understand when the is something abnormal. More information is always appreciated, like radiographs or other veterinary input. Also understanding conformation gives me insights on where an expected injury may be.

GM: When my farrier arrives, my horse is usually haltered and ready to go. I have a tendency to talk to my farrier but know this is probably annoying because he is working and I am chatting, asking questions. As a horse owner, what should I do to prepare for my farrier's visit and is it okay to talk while he's working?
SK: It is always good to have horses in and ready for farrier and vet appointments. That also means cleaned off and dry during mud season. Some farriers are chatty while others need to concentrate on their work without interruptions.

GM: What is your best advice for those looking to purchase their first horse?
SK: Certainly, have the horse vet checked. Having a trusted, experienced trainer looking out for red flags is important. Conformation for the use and longevity should also be evaluated. Often the horse suited for a beginner may not be physically able to do advanced work.

GM: Most farriers stable a horse or two. Tell us about your horses…
SK: As I mentioned, I play polo for fun in our regional outdoor amateur polo community. I'm also a volunteer polo coach for the Cornell Polo Team. I have kept four to six horses to play in tournaments in the past. At 75, I am the oldest player locally and my horses are aging out with me. I have had many different breeds for polo including thoroughbreds, tb/quarter horse crosses, a couple Appaloosas, and various grade horses. You need thoroughbreds for the speed, but balanced proper conformation is most important. I am very particular about that. I have acquired many polo prospects from clients. For me it’s all about how well they are put together.  I also like to trail ride.

GM: Traveling the world to share your knowledge, where in the world has been your favorite place to visit/teach?
SK: Being asked to travel has been an incredible experience for me to do clinics. I have met farriers from all over the world. Every trip has had its own rewards. I would have never gone to Brazil, Columbia, or the Netherlands if I wasn't a farrier. Plus making new friends all over the US is special to me.

GM: You are the author of Shoeing the Modern Horse: The Horse Owner's Guide to Farriery and Hoof Care. As a horse owner with a great farrier, what can I gain from reading your book?
SK: First reading my book will give horse owners a deeper understanding of what is really happening with your horse's hoof care. Understanding farriery on a deeper level will make any horse owner a better consumer of this service and also more observant of potential problems their horses may have. My chapter for instance, on foals would be helpful should you decide to raise one. If you ever decide to acquire a new horse the chapter on conformation would be helpful to weed out potential problems.

The "Modern Horse" as I defined are the horses owned by my generation, in the post-World War II world. This is the time that the largest number of horses are owned by people using them for recreation, sport, and pleasure. Formerly, most horses were used for work, transportation, or battle. The change is also now who owns these horses.  

GM: The equine industry has changed a bit since the pandemic, or at least it has here in Ohio. What are your thoughts about the current equine industry, the kill pens, the BLM, and the horse scene in general?
SK: Depending on where you look, the pandemic either produced slowdowns or more horse usage. It seems that there are less people growing up around horses. Some families that I shod horses for 2 generations are ending their horse ownership as the next generation has other interests. The middle income is being squeezed due to the high costs of horse ownership. The wealthy seem to not be slowing down. 

Horse slaughter is done completely wrong mainly because there are not humane alternatives available for people to dispose of unwanted, unsaleable horses.  Even if a local vet can euthanize a horse, there is the disposal problem, all of which is expensive now. My older horses are retired on my farm and euthanized before their growing age-related problems become a crisis. I then bury them in a back field. 

Currently, I am seeing fewer riding skills and horsemanship in general. I see young people being taught to ride but have no idea how to saddle up a horse or take proper care of it. 

GM: What does horsemanship mean to you?
SK: To me, horsemanship has been a lifelong endeavor. Horsemanship includes riding, horse care, training, understanding nutrition, healthcare. saddle fit. etc. 






Connect with Steve…

Steven Kraus, CJF, Head of Farrier Services
Sr. Lecturer, Large Animal Surgery
Dept. of Clinical Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
Cornell University

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/about-us/news/cvms-kraus-joins-farriers-hall-fame

https://americanfarriers.org/members/?id=56601710







No comments:

The Kentucky Mountain Horse, Breeze is Turning 2 Years Old!

  NC Matheny is thrilled to announce the launch of his brand-new TikTok channel, featuring none other than his cherished stallion, Breeze!  ...