Friday, April 1, 2022

Riding with Diane: Rockin' RC Rodeo Spirit Princess

Diane Paxson, Rockin' RC Rodeo Spirit Princess 

Riding with Diane: Rockin’ RC Rodeo Spirit Princess
by Gina McKnight
Archived from the March 2022 Issue of Florida Equine Athlete
No Duplication without Permissions.
 
There is something special about Montana. Besides the beautiful scenery, it is the home of the Rockin’ RC Rodeo, the premier event of the Ravalli County Fair. The Fair is held every September in Hamilton – with reigning royalty! I am excited to introduce you to Diane Paxson, Rockin’ RC Rodeo’s Spirit Princess! Diane is a true cowgirl. She learned to ride at an early age and has a heart for horses.
 
Diane’s mother, Bea, writes, “Diane was born in Florida and was life-flighted from Fort Myers to St Petersburg after it was discovered she had a congenital heart defect. At the All Children's Hospital, she lived the first 3 1/2 months of her life in the hospital and after by the age of two, she went through seven different surgeries, including an open heart surgery at five months old. After genetic testing was conducted, we learned for the first time that Diane was born with a chromosomal abnormality known as Trisomy 14 Mosaic. This diagnosis is so rare that there are less than 100 cases in the world that have been reported.”
 
Now residing in Montana, Diane is a princess of the local rodeo! Catching up with Diane, her mother and grandmother, we talked about Diane’s love of horses and much more.
 
Welcome, Diane!
 
GM: Diane, I am super excited to meet you and share your story. What do you like most about horses?
DP:  I like to feed and brush horses. I like to learn new things about parts of the saddle. I also like to name parts of the horses body. I like when they put their heads down to see me. I always pet my horse's soft nose.
 
GM: Tell us about your horse...
DP:  My horse's name is Smokey. She is 18 years old. She is blind in one eye. She is a very good horse and is black and white. I like her very much and I think she likes me, too. She holds still for me. One time I stood on my saddle for a photo. I was scared. But my dad had my leg. I was proud I did it. Grandma says it is a power girl pose.
 
GM: Smokey sounds so sweet! Who is your riding coach and how often are you able to ride?
DP: My Grandma got me started when I told her I wanted to be in the rodeo contest. I had to learn my balance. I was scared at first. My dad helped me to hold on. I learned to sit straight. I worked hard for many months so I could ride in the parade with the other princesses. I had another coach who led Smokey while my dad made sure I did not fall off. It was great! I waived at everyone. I ride mostly during the summer.
 
GM: Congratulations on becoming a Rockin' RC Rodeo Spirit Princess! What are your duties as a Princess?
DP: I go to lots of events. Sometimes I help raise money. I meet people, ride my horse, dress up in rodeo clothes, learn patterns to ride, do speeches and interviews at the Rodeo. I do some sign language and answer questions. I like all the people.
 
GM: What do you enjoy most about being a Rodeo Princess?
DP:   I really like the parade and also riding in the arena. I still need help but the rodeo people are all very nice to me. I do not have to trot or canter my horse by myself. They understand I cannot do that yet. I love my rodeo outfits and getting my horse ready.
 
GM: Do you have a favorite rodeo event? Why is it your favorite?
DP:   I like watching bull riding and seeing how long they can stay on the bull’s back. I don't like it when anyone gets hurt. They are all very good riders.
 
GM: What do you like to do for fun besides ride horses?
DP:   My family signs me up for lots of new things. I ski with my dad and he holds me as we ski down the hill. One time my ski got caught under his and we fell down together but I didn't get hurt. I just started lessons to play the violin and had a recital. I play golf with my dad and sister. They ride in a cart but I like to walk. My mom is a very good singer and I like to sing and dance with her. I like taking family trips.
 
GM: What advice do you have for new riders and those looking to purchase their first horse?
DP:  I think taking lessons is important. If you have fun and like horses then maybe you can see if someone can help you buy a horse. Make sure to get one that is nice to you is and easy to ride.
 
GM: What does horsemanship mean to you?
DP:  Riding my horse.
 
Follow Rockin’ RC Rodeo on Facebook
Website: Ravalli County Fairgrounds 









No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...