Monday, April 18, 2022

Milliron Monday: Why I Go To Church

Jody Smith at St. Mary's Episcopal Church

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.
June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Pete Smith, D.V.M., and  Milliron: Abbott “Pete” Smith, D.V.M. The Biography (Monday Creek Publishing 2017), including his wife Jody (1938-2021)

“A church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints.
Pauline Phillips

 
Why do you go to church? Do you go to church? With the Easter season still upon our hearts, we reflect on our feelings about church. I hope we can keep the Easter mentality throughout the year - a spirit of love, hope, and intentional worship. 

Personally, I haven't been to church for a long time. I miss going; however, like some people, I can be turned-off by those who attend church every Sunday, but fall short of... love. Basic love. No frills or fireworks, just love enough to be kind. Reading Jody's note from long ago Why I Go To Church is a reminder that even Jesus went to church even though people in His day were imperfect, too. They even crucified Him (!). At this time of world chaos, these words ring true and we should find our way (back) to church.

Why I Go To Church

Not because a sermon is preached, though it can be very useful.

Not because good music is provided, though I obtain much benefit from the musical part of the service.

Not because other people go, though following the crowd is all right, if the crowd is going the right way.

Not because I have the habit, though I consider the custom of church attendance valuable.

Not because I am afraid God will punish me if I am absent, though neglect of church attendance brings moral and spiritual poverty.

Not because at church I see my friends, though it is pleasant to meet them there.

Not because at church I wear my best clothes, though, like most people, I enjoy being well-dressed.

Not because there I am in the best society, though the company of Christian people is very attractive to me.

Not because I agree with all the religious ideas and life habits of everyone who goes - I don't, it's impossible.

I go because Jesus went, even while he could not agree with the Scribes, nor the Pharisees, nor the congregation.

I go because I believe in the necessity for the Spirit of Christ in every sphere of life.

I go because God is my friend, the source of all that is worthwhile in my life and in my world.

I go to church to worship God.




Have a great week ahead.


Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

 


No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...