Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Painting Roses by Sandra Russell

Original Art (c) Sandra Russell
 

Painting Roses
by Sandra Russell

I've been driving myself crazy trying to learn to paint roses by watching YouTube videos. I find that the artists whose work I admire are difficult to follow as in a 'paint along' process; there is a gesture or tone unseen, or a holding of the brush angle that the artists hand just doesn't communicate to his mouth? I know I could not teach techniques so random as rose petals to someone else. I did teach China doll painting to some new workers in a porcelain factory some long years ago. That method was very precise, used only a small set of colors and brushes and techniques and so was not as difficult to translate. Still the person learning had to have an eye for the most delicate of nuance in the blush of a cheek or in and especially in the setting of the eyes and the painting of the brows. Got a couple baby dolls looking a bit like Count Dracula...fortunately the paint had not been fired on and was easily removed with a tissue and some baby oil.

I think for painting roses or any other flower, it is still best to paint from life. Because your relationship to that blossom, how the sunlight hits it, how the scent effects the mood of the experience will alter your touch with the brush. I am hoping to see all the blooms this spring and summer and even keep as many Victorian ladies kept. A small garden journal with flowers and plants growing at their feet. The direct way is just so much deeper an experience. Happy journaling to you all, sketch, write, take photos...be in life, make it yours.


Original Art (c) Sandra Russell







No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...