| Original Art by Croatia Artist Iva Dukic @ zmamorije_by_iva_dukic Winter Solstice The Earth is tilting, and
I can’t feel it. I am not standing askew or leaning more this way or that way. It
seems like a normal day. This morning at 10:59 am EST, the poles will be
the farthest away from the sun than at any other time of the year – the winter
solstice. The tilt is real, they say. Today will be short, then the days will begin
to get longer as we tread into winter.
I
can’t imagine what it would be like to live near the poles. Parkas, furs,
thermals – makes my hands cold to think about it. But I love winter. To someone
who has never seen ice or snow, it must look alien and weird. Snowflakes (no
two are alike, fascinating thought) and icicles create magical patterns and visual
joy. Living in Ohio, I rarely think about polar bears, artic hares, or kittiwakes. I wonder if they notice the solstice.
The
deer passing by my picture window don’t seem to notice the tilt. They
are looking for something to eat and are headed to the pond to see if the
ducks left any cracked corn. I usually put extra feed out in the winter for the
birds and deer. They are all friends, you know, just like in the
Disney movies. They all dance and play while we’re not looking. The elegant
tracks of deer, sparrows, and ducks create intentional pirouettes in the mud. Looks
like they waltzed last night, or maybe a solstice dance with percussion
ostinatos and rhyming verse.
Maybe
I am askew today. Oh, but it’s all about treading. Pressing forward. I have several
loose ends to tie up before December 31. Today, as the Earth tilts, seems like
a good day to tackle procrastination and the few things I don’t want to do.
Maybe you don’t procrastinate. Lucky you. I would rather write this post and dream
about tilting, snowflakes, and snow bunnies than adult. Maybe I will bridle a
doe and head to the woods and try again tomorrow. Connect with Gina Connect with Iva
|
Gina McKnight, Monday Creek Publishing Author, Freelance Writer, Equestrian, Blogger, and Poet! Welcome to my international blog about horses, writers, authors, books, cowboys, equestrians, photographers, artists, poets, poems, and more horses. As seen in #FloridaEquineAthlete, #ArabianFinishLine, #HorseGirlTV, #LivingRuralTV, #AmericanHorsePublications, #trueCOWBOYmagazine, #HayNetUK, and #GirlGab.com...
Tuesday, December 21, 2021
This Week @ Monday Creek: Winter Solstice
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Milliron Monday: Childhood Stories from Jody's Bookshelf - "Palomino and Other Horses" by Wesley Dennis
Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.: June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010 Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 -...
Monday Creek Publishing LLC
-
Pro Farrier & Blacksmith, Marc Setzer, mare Zubedia, and Marc's Apprentice, Zane @ Monday Creek Stables A recent Farrier Day...
-
From Pakistan, Tariq Tanveer is a world-renowned Horticulturist and Master Gardener. He is currently the Managing Partner of Gre...
-
Barbara Morgenroth is an internationally acclaimed author of fiction and non-fiction. Formerly from New York City, she now lives somewhere...
-
An Interview with Author Mark Neyer In a cultural moment where certainty is scarce, Mark Neyer steps directly into the conversation wit...
-
Welcome Author Earl Lowell "Robbie" aka "NO SWEAT " Robbins! No Sweat is the author of These Precious Days...
-
Greta @ Greta and the Herd Greta and the Herd: An Interview with Lauren McGee by Gina McKnight No Duplication Without Permission. Archiv...
-
Welcome Mandy! A talented writer/novelist, poet and much more, Mandy is the author of several spine-tingling novels that will be s...
No comments:
Post a Comment