Wednesday, December 8, 2021

An Interview with Ohio Author Tyann Altier

 

An Interview with Ohio Author Tyann Altier

If you're looking for the perfect stocking stuffer or something to give as a small, but powerful gift, I highly recommend Tyann's new book Grandma, What's Prayer? A book for all ages, it is a lovely conversation between a grandson and his grandmother about prayer. It was inspired by many of the conversations the author had with "Linda" and her family. Many of the colors used were chosen by the author's relatives and Linda's great grandchild, Kaydence. Some colors were picked because they are the colors used in cancer ribbons.

Welcome, Tyann!

GM: What is the premise for your new children's book Grandma, What's Prayer?

TA: Everyone can pray. Prayer can bring you comfort and remind you that you’re never alone.

GM: What would you like readers to take away from your book?

TA: Most of all I want readers to walk away with cherished memories. Memories of their parents or grandparents reading to them. Not all kids get excited about religion and praying but I hope they cherish the memories they make with this as much as I cherish the memories of going to church early Sunday morning with my Grandma Jennie. At the time I thought it was super boring but as an adult I can look back and say I’m glad I went.

GM: Your book has endearing characters. What was your inspiration for the characters?

TA: The inspiration for my characters was my boyfriend, his grandmother, and his family.

GM: When you're writing, how do you maintain creative scenarios and ideas?

TA: Once I get an idea and start a project, it’s just something I think about and keep thinking about until it’s done. I’ve always had a very strong imagination so coming up with the images was the easy part. Putting things into words however has never been my strongest talent. Luckily for this book I was able to look back on all the conversations I had with Linda. All I had to do was put the words in order.

GM: Who is your favorite author?

TA: I can’t say I have a favorite author. But I’ve always been attracted to ghost stories, true crime, doom and gloom. Probably sounds a little weird for a children’s book author to say though.

GM: Do you have advice for novice writers?

TA: Don’t be afraid to mess up. You will… A lot. It comes with the territory. I lucked out and got help from someone who was very patient and willing to teach me the ropes. Don’t be afraid to step out there. Your first book won’t be perfect but when you’re holding it in your hands and looking at it, you’ll be amazed at how far you’ve come from the first email you sent. You’ll be ready to start your next book to put all you learned to the test.

GM: List 10 things your readers may not know about you...

TA:  1.) I have reptiles. A desert kingsnake name Winifred, a Mexican black kingsnake named Jack, a corn snake named Grim, a milkshake named Winston, and a crested gecko named Igneous.

2.) I enjoy breeding and keeping fish. I picked up the hobby in college and plan on breeding at least guppies again after I purchase a house and have the room to do it. I’ve bred guppies and betta fish.

3.) Fall is my favorite season; I love the leaves and the weather.

4.) Halloween is and always has been my favorite holiday. I’ve given out candy with my grandma Jennie every year since I stopped trick or treating.

5.) I like frog “hunting”. Every spring I go out into my grandparent’s horse field with a bucket and see how many frogs I can get. At the end of the evening, I’ll count them up and put them all back.

6.) I like house plants, but I don’t have a green thumb and so far, the only three I’ve been able to keep alive for more than a year are a lucky bamboo, a pitcher plant, and an aloe.

 
7.) I like fishing.
 
8.) This book was one of the first real projects I did with digital art. It was definitely a learning curve, and I came out a better digital artist.
 
9.) Every time I get roses, whether it's one or a dozen, I dry them out and put them in a vase on top of my fireplace.
 
10.) My favorite color is purple.

Connect with Tyann:



No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...