Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Christmas is done and Spring is in the air? Art and Story by Sandra Russell

 


Christmas is done and Spring is in the air?

by Sandra Russell

 

I am feeling a bit confused. Just the morning after Christmas, I drove to a couple different malls. I took advantage of the marked down prices on the holiday decorations. I made a wise but cautious purchase of a really nice garland in a local store, went back the next day to see if I could get one or two more of them because I had to sort of see it in my home to appreciate it. Well, not this year boys and girls...The people have spoken with their wallets. They came like a swarm and wiped out everything I would want.

 

Well-good for them. I think the Covid threats and the non-gathering, the social isolation and fear for the future has run its course. People want to take back the feeling of celebration and merrymaking...and in a very big way. Crowded parking lots, stores and lines at the registers, was madness. Of course, the last-minute tradition of eve shopping was in evidence; the iconic lost man on his own like Robinson Crusoe washed up on the shores of the women's wear dept. These men are the endearing reminders that everybody cares sometimes. They are scratching their heads at handbags, perfumes and jackets looking as glum and concerned as an 8th grader facing Algebra I. But I was surprised the day after Xmas, I saw men stocking up on such things as barware, and serving dishes, shopping with women and pointing out good designs?! Wow! Some were even picking up wreaths and figurines and looking at porch ornaments. These men were holiday fete veterans now; they were smiling and chatting with their mates and companions!

 

Well now, 2022 may just be a friendlier year than we've had for a while? Now, back to Spring, already spring stuff moving into the shops, and how will our gardens grow? I'm predicting that the gardens will bloom as never before. I think we are heading for a great self-healing a 'herd immunity' of attitude at least. Wishing that this season and the next will bring us out of pandemic doubts and dangers so that we can live our kindest, healthiest and truest selves.





No comments:

This Week @ Monday Creek: History and Cosmos

  The Ides of March came and went without much ado. Falling on the 15 th of March, it was a significant date in ancient Rome. It gained not...