Sunday, December 12, 2021

An Interview with Ohio Author Cecile Bibawy


An Interview with Ohio Author Cecile Bibawy

 

Recently I had the opportunity to connect with Cecile. She attended the Monday Creek Book Festival in November. Her book Loving Her Mind: Piecing Together the Shards of Hope (January 2021) is about her “never-ending desire to spread the truth about mental illness, inspire people to tell their story, work toward ending the stigma that keeps people sick, and promote the health of mind, body, and spirit.”

 

From Cecile’s bio: “After sunrises and coffee, that is, when she's not writing, she's exploring the pursuit of truth, goodness, and beauty with her children as she and her husband classically homeschool them. She teaches Zumba classes and tells her stories and struggles to anyone who will listen. Bibawy was a public relations practitioner for Faith Mission Homeless Shelters in Columbus, Ohio and also promoted Job Corps for a while in Upstate New York. She is available for key-note speaking about her story to your people.”

 

Welcome, Cecile!

 

GM: What is the premise for your new book?

CB: Overcome stigma’s sting, break free of your glass room to help the mentally ill and instill hope for their caregivers.

 

GM: How do you maintain thoughts and ideas?

CB: I have a separate journal just for ideas. In a pinch, I "scribble" ideas into my phone's notepad, then transfer to the journal.

 

GM: Where do you like to write?

CB: At my little white secretary's desk or at a coffee shop. At my desk, I face a wall of framed family pictures in the living room. There's just enough space for my laptop and a coffee mug, which sits on the fancy ceramic coaster that my kids bought me for Christmas a few years ago. It's really the best place to write. While everyone's sleeping is the best time. Otherwise, my favorite coffee shops, Roosevelt's and La Chatelaine, serve as good environments - mainly because the coffee is good. That is very important.

 

GM: Do you have a muse or other inspiration that sparks creative ideas?

CB: Not yet. I wish I did. It would be wonderful to have something I could fall back on when I'm fresh out.

 

GM: What are you currently reading?

CB: Switch on Your Brain by Dr. Caroline Leaf.

 

GM: What are you currently writing?

CB: Nothing. But I have the idea for my next book and two more for after that!

 

GM: Do you have advice for novice writers?

CB: Keep writing. Try to write daily. When you get stuck and have nothing to say, take a walk or other type of break for a few minutes to an hour. Then try again.

 

GM: Please share your book marketing secrets... 

CB: Don't treat your book like a business card. Write your marketing copy as if you're speaking to one person. What would you say to the one?

 

GM: List 10 things your fans may not know about you...

CB: 1) My favorite food is Mexican

2) I love classical music

3) I am a Zumba instructor

4) I knit things

5) Coffee makes me happy

6) I've been to Australia

7) I have a severe phobia of snakes

8) I can play the piano

9) I'm double-jointed

10) My favorite food to make and serve is stuffed grape leaves

 

Connect with Cecile…

Amazon.com

Facebook Page: Cecile Bibawy, Author

Facebook Group:  Join here! Cecile Bibawy, Author

Instagram: @sincerelycecile

 


From the back of the book:

Shatter the Walls of Secrets and Shame at thirteen, Cecile Bibawy is told that her best friend is part of a committee of evil psychiatrists who watches the family around the clock. A few of her closest friends and family members are not to be trusted and pose a great danger. If only she could know that these things are not so. Truth to a budding teen is whatever your mother says, and it is her mother that says it -- but only to her. No one else can know. When stigma traps her in a glass room of secrets, Bibawy finds herself stuck within walls named shame, fear, neglect, and loneliness. A real tragedy of mental illness is the secrecy that encloses those who struggle inside glass rooms, crystallizing their isolation. The caregivers struggle, too. In this account, Bibawy breaks free, learns to love her mother, and discovers the ability to love herself. By telling her story, despite the suffocating confines of family, culture, and stinging, penetrating stigma, Bibawy reveals how God shattered the glass, raising her mind to discover an ocean deep desire to instill hope for caregivers of the mentally ill, inspire them to tell their story, and remove the shame that secrets and stigma infuse. Are you held captive by your secrets? Are you hiding yours or your loved one’s struggle with mental illness? Open these pages to discover:• solutions instead of secrets • belonging instead of banishing • real love instead of fear. Loving Her Mind pieces together the shards of hope based on the author’s experience of caring for her mother through which she discovered a stigma-slaying life.





 

No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...