Sunday, December 19, 2021

JOY! Art and Story by Sandra Russell

Christmas Card 2021

JOY!

Art and Story by Sandra Russell

 

Like any kid in elementary school, I looked forward to the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. We had many deep snows in those winters and lots of opportunities to build snowmen and go sledding, but we really loved going visiting. We would always drive the jeep to Grandma and Grandpa's house as a big part of the holiday break from school. We would sing in the car all the way from Chauncey to Hebardsville… the songs of the season. Especially we would sing Over the River and through the Woods to Grandmother's house we go! The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh through the white and drifting snow -oh!


My Grandpa had a pair of mules when I was wee little, and a pair of draft horses that pulled the hay wagon. Later on, he only had one horse ‘Prince’ who was a 'flea bit' half Percheron Draft and half Arabian/Quarter horse gelding that I knew most of my youth and was able to ride sometimes. He was a broad-backed horse and we had no saddle. Grandma would plow with him. 


To get to Grandma's house there were two huge hills to climb and no snowplows. So, we carried what was called 'chains' for the tires. These were actual chains that wrapped around the wheels for extra tread if the snow was especially deep... otherwise, if you didn't get a big enough 'run' at the hill, the vehicle would go sliding backwards into the main road.

 

I don't remember the exact situation but do remember Grandpa coming to the rescue of someone with his team of horses to pull their car out of a ditch. I remember thinking how romantic it was to see the team out in the snow like that and how it matched the songs we sang. I guess these memories played a part in designing this Christmas Card. So, JOY! to you this year and enjoy the weather, whatever comes!





No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...