Wednesday, September 2, 2020

A Writer's Journey: Amazing! by T. W. Harvey, Author & Historian

 

Guest Post 7

April 18, 1995, 8:00P.M

Shaker Heights, Ohio

Amazing!

Well, it’s been some time since I wrote about what has been going on with the letters. I did return to Loganberry’s Book Store right after the first of the year and picked up the Shelby Foote trilogy, some 2,000 pages about the Civil War. Professor Robinson, the retired history guru, also showed me Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson and Bloody Shiloh by Wiley Sword, so my library is starting to fill up. But, I still had to figure out what I was going to do with the letters.

I knew they were written by my  great-grandfather, Thomas S. Armstrong, and were postmarked from all over the southern states, but I didn’t know the story, yet. I needed a plan to unravel the Armstrong’s story. That was first and foremost. Then, I had to learn about the Civil War. Foote, McPherson, and Sword could help with that. Also, I had no idea about what was going on in Muskingum County, in general, and Zanesville, in particular, not to mention Norwich, Hopewell, and Fultonham as the fighting began and raged on. So, a visit there was in order.

The plan evolved. I would read first thing in the morning and take notes about events in the places the letters were written. Background was important, I thought. Later in the morning, I would go for my daily run, about six miles through the Shaker Lakes, out around Laurel School and Hathaway Brown, two private schools, west down Fairmount Boulevard where my folks used to live, and back to Shaker Square.

Then, after lunch, it was to be time to transcribe the letters, one by one, taking each folder out of the acid-free box, handling with surgical gloves. OK, now you think that was easy? It really hasn’t been. Even though they are in mint condition and the handwriting is excellent, reading them and then typing is damn hard work, thank you. I am finding as I plod through them, I can do about two a day before I run out of steam. I quit about 6 P.M. and drive over to Paula’s for dinner and maybe watch a little of the Cleveland Indians’ game on the tube before coming back to the condo and a good night’s sleep.

Cataloging the letters took a lot of time in January, so the transcription process was delayed. Further, there were a couple of other things that got in the way as well. My son, Doug, had gone off to college at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute last September and came home at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then, a month ago, he and I went to New Smyrna Beach, Florida for his Spring Break and some golf. He’ll be back in May for the summer. Now that I don’t see him much, out visits have become very special.

Additionally, there was some new thing called the Internet, and he asked me to get something called an “email” account on something called a website at a place called CompuServe. He said that while he was at school we could correspond on our computers and not have to use the telephone. The marvels of technology. A lot of my friends have gotten email accounts, too, so my morning research has been delayed until I read all of what they had to say and respond if I so choose. Doug and I email each other just about every day.

After we returned from Florida in mid-March, Paula and I were talking about the project, and she asked about possibly going to Zanesville once the snow melted to do research or at least check out the geography of Muskingum County. That led to our first road trip which we took last week, armed with clipboards, paper, and a Kodak Instamatic camera. After a 3 hour ride south on I-77 and west on I-70, the first stop was the county seat of Muskingum County, Zanesville, to find out if there was an historical society. There was, over on Jefferson Street, west across the Y Bridge over the Muskingum River in Putnam, a city right next door to Zanesville. The Society was housed inside the Stone Academy, a building that had been there for almost 200 years. I knocked on the door and found there was nobody home, so we took off to Norwich, where we thought my great-grandfather’s family had a farm.

Now, Norwich was 14 miles east of Zanesville with the National Road, Route 40, actually splitting the little town in two. After parking the car, we found a schoolhouse, the Post Office, a Methodist church, and a general store. Paula actually stood on my shoulders to peer inside the locked church. She said it looked like no one had been there in a long time. That was about it, except for a graveyard out behind the church, and it was interesting that there was no one walking around the town. Paula sketched out Norwich on a pad of paper, but it was at the Post Office where we had some luck.

We told the gentleman in the green visor and apron, behind the barred window, that we were trying to find the Armstrong’s’ farm from way back in 1860, having no idea where it was. Simple, he said, and told us to back to the Court House where we could find real estate records as far back as they were kept.  That got me to thinking that maybe we could find the Porter farm over in Hopewell Township as well. Thanking him, it was time for lunch and back to Zanesville where we found a diner on Putnam Avenue for a BLT and a glass of iced tea.

The next stop was Hopewell, 9 miles west, which we found to be just like Norwich, except the National Road ran north of town. It was pretty quiet there as well. Even the Post Office was closed. So, it was back to the Court House, but we didn’t have time to do the research on the properties, so we headed to the Stone Academy. This time, we were met by the curator, Mrs. Dale Curry. After an hour of conversation, I realized that she would be a most valuable resource.


About Dr. Harvey
Dr. T.W. Harvey is a retired Associate Professor of Finance at Ashland (Ohio) University. He has published two books, Quality Value Banking: Effective Management Systems that Increase Earnings, Lower Costs, and Provide Competitive Customer Service, with Janet L. Gray, and The Banking Revolution: Positioning Your Bank in The New Financial Services Marketplace. Further, he had articles published in both practitioner and academic journals.

Dr. Harvey has always been fascinated by the history of the United States and was grateful to have the opportunity to study it in detail while researching and writing Seeing the Elephant: One Man’s Return to the Horrors of the Civil War.

He was born and raised in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. He graduated from Hillsdale College with a BA in English, from Case Western Reserve University with an MBA in Finance, from Cleveland State University with a doctorate in management and strategy. He and his wife, Paula, reside in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.


 


No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...