Friday, July 19, 2024

Writing History: An Interview with Historical Fiction Author Curt J. Robinette

Writing History: An Interview with Historical Fiction Author Curt J. Robinette

Currently visiting his hometown of Nelsonville, Ohio, I caught up with Curt J. Robinette and asked him about his new book, writing, and more. His new book UNITL I HAVE NO MORE TO GIVE: A Hiram Robinett Story of the Civil War, released this month. Curt will be signing books tomorrow, July 20th, at the new Hole in the Ville, on the Nelsonville Public Square.

Welcome, Curt!

GM: What is the premise for your new book?
CR:  Like most Americans, I believed that 1861-1865 encompassed the most terrible years in the history of our country. Very little effort has taken place to put those four years into proper perspective. While not suggesting that Hiram's story will enlighten you totally to this incredible time in history, it will give the reader the opportunity to see the challenges our country faced after the shooting stopped. "Reconstruction" was no such thing. Our government, led by an uncaring bigoted and prejudiced President, failed miserably to handle the transition of 4-plus million freed blacks and then blamed that failure on 1,000 members of The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands. My grandfather's half-brother was one of those Freedmen's Bureau personnel and I tried my best to show the daily insurmountable challenges faced by these true American Heroes. Their accomplishments still shine brightly today. Sadly, most of us do not know the story.

GM: What would you like readers to take away from your book?
CR:  To understand how incredibly difficult "Equality for All" has been and continues to be. I could offer bunches of opinions, including many facts, perhaps an equal number of excuses; but I would hope that folks discover it on their own.

GM: Certainly, a lot of research has gone into your new book. The hours spent in research will enlighten those looking for more information about that era. What are you currently writing?
CR:  I have multiple "starts" that I would like to turn into something enjoyable. Having a limited imagination, I really have to rely on facts. I have several stories lumped together in a group called "Stories I May Never Complete". I believe I have one more 'good' story in me focused on my great grandparents and their children. Maybe that's next.

GM: Besides writing, what do you like to do for fun?
CR:  The NEW Nelsonville Tribune is a facebook group that hopes to keep the spirit of Nelsonville alive. I spend three to four hours a day living in the past and looking for fun and funny things to share. I spend an hour or so a day watching the Nelsonville Chamber of Commerce Live Cam, hoping to see folks that I know. I absolutely love the public square. My heart is there.

GM: Do you have advice for novice writers?
CR:  Find someone who believes in you and what you are trying to do. Number one, above all else, try it. I absolutely had no idea if I could tell a story or not. If you don't try, guess what? You won't know either.

GM: I don’t think people realize the hard work that goes into writing a book! I am sure you have derived inspiration from other authors along the way. Who is your favorite author?  
CR:  Hasn't changed over the years. Zane Grey and Larry McMurtry.

GM: What are you currently reading?
CR:  Civil War period articles are my favorite. Not particularly the battles, more the lives of the folks involved and those impacted.

GM: Take us through a day in your life as a writer...
CR:  I get on Facebook and The NEW Nelsonville Tribune, do birthdays for members, look for interesting tales or facts offered up by members or Facebook offerings. I don't write every day or it wouldn't take five years between books.

GM: Any thoughts on the state of the world? Has current events impacted your role as a writer?
CR:  Just spent a few years in the years 1865-1868 which really helped me in dealing with the pathetic situation today that we call our Government. Things were absolutely terrible for at least a decade called the 1860s. Our current situations, not only in the US, but throughout a large part of the World, are potentially as bad and could become worse in a heartbeat. Realistically and because of the new weapons compared to the past, we probably should be worried.

My current book was hard to tell because it was such a negative time in history. You have to get involved to understand and have any chance to tell a story that appropriately creates the environment. I don't believe I am capable of writing of our current circumstances. Far too complicated for this country boy.

Connect with Curt…




No comments:

An Interview With Award-Winning Author and Playwright, Ron Destro

  Author Ron Destro with audiobook narrator Sir Derek Jacobi in London An Interview With Award-Winning Author and Playwright, Ron Destro Bio...