Monday, July 15, 2024

Milliron Monday: The Recordings 9

 


Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021

Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 
"I had to mortgage my own vehicle, my Jeep Wagoneer, to buy Cricket for Pete."
― Jody Smith

Another random recording of talking with Jody about Pete. This recording is a bit personal, but after all this time, I think it’s okay to share. If you take offense, just skip this post. If you can’t figure it out, don’t text me (jk).

This particular day, Jody brought Pete’s silver metal clipboard with a tray underneath, the one he always took on farm calls. The clipboard covered the tray and the lid snapped in place. The hinged clipboard lifted and forms were stored in the bottom tray to record diagnosis, medicine, invoice, etc. Jody placed her aged hand on the top of the worn-out clipboard, remembering. She starts grinning with a bit of laughter…

Is your recorder turned off? This can’t go in the book. Pete took this on farm calls with him [Jody showed me the metal clipboard with tray]. He would put a copy of the receipts down in here… he kept his daily “To Do List” of chores and clients to be seen on top. Then, at the end of the day, he would give the whole thing to the girls in the office and they would sort it out. The clipboard was made by Saunders Manufacturing. It’s written here. One day, I was telling Jan Crall about the sw Pete wrote at the bottom of his To Do List. Every day Pete wrote sw in pencil at the bottom of the list. It wasn’t in big letters, but always last on the list. I never really thought about it much, then one day I asked Pete what sw stood for. “What is this down at the bottom of your list of things to do? It just says ‘sw’.” Well, we won’t get into that. Don’t tell Pat.

At any rate, one time I had to mortgage my own vehicle, my Jeep Wagoneer, to buy Cricket for Pete. I had a little bit of money saved, but the rest came from the mortgage of my Jeep. Cricket was a show mare, a Morgan. She was jet black. A local breeder owned Cricket’s sire. I didn’t find that out until later.


Have a great week ahead.

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

No comments:

Monday Creek Publishing Digest: Ohio Author Celeste Parsons

  September 2024 Featured Author & Illustrator Celeste Parsons Barnes & Noble Amazon STUFF and NONSENSE Riding & Writing Intervi...