Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Good Habits Rabbits! Habits! An Interview with Ohio Author Mark M. Dean

Good Habits Rabbits! Habits!: An Interview with Ohio Author Mark M. Dean

Mark M. Dean released a new children’s book earlier this year, Good Habits Rabbits! Habits! Beautifully illustrated by Emi Olin, Dean writes about the importance of good hygiene, kindness, and good habits. Recently, I caught up with Mark to ask him about his new book.

Welcome, Mark!

GM: What is the premise for your new book?

MD:  The premise of my new book is to teach children in a fun fashion some of the basic manners that will help them throughout their lives.

GM: What would you like readers to take away from your book?
MD:  I'd like the older generation to realize many basic manners aren't being taught to children the way they used to. 

GM: What are you currently writing?
MD:  I'm currently writing a series of books on a Bigfoot Family.  It takes place deep in a "Holler" where the extended family has fun adventures with each other and their community.

GM: Besides writing, what do you like to do for fun?
MD:  Spending time with my family, playing ice hockey, and working on the family hobby horse farm.

GM: Do you have advice for novice writers?
MD:  Start.  Simply get that first sentence down and don’t worry if it’s perfect, you'll be able to circle back and polish it up after you get in your groove.

GM: Who is your favorite author?  
MD:  I have several.  Two of my favorites are JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis. These two authors opened the door to my imagination at a very important time in my childhood. Their writing style, creativity and depth of characters were amazing to me.

GM: What are you currently reading?  
MD: I'm reading a book of poetry, Good Poetry, complied by Garrison Keillor and the fourth book in the American history saga, The Furies.

GM: Take us through a day in your life as a writer...
MD:  I'm an early morning writer before anyone in the house is up and the horses haven't started stirring yet.  I head right to the kitchen table, crack open the computer, and turn that puppy on.  While its coming to life I head to the coffeepot and get the java a-brewing.  From that point, I have about two hours before the day starts for the rest of the family.

GM: Any thoughts on the state of the world? Has current events impacted your role as a writer?
MD:  Unfortunately, I think our world is in a very historic time, and not in a good way.  How do we get to a better place?  Serve your higher power, love this journey and those who you are on it with, embrace your inner child, and keep it simple!

The style and subject matter of my writing isn't as impacted by world events as other authors may be; serving others in some capacity, keeping it simple.

Connect with Mark…


 


No comments:

An Interview With Award-Winning Author and Playwright, Ron Destro

  Author Ron Destro with audiobook narrator Sir Derek Jacobi in London An Interview With Award-Winning Author and Playwright, Ron Destro Bio...