Monday, July 31, 2023

Milliron Monday: Letters Home Jan 5 1960

 

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"...wonderful to be able to look forward to these courses..."
― Jody Smith

Jody's letter home to Mansfield, Ohio. Backstory: Preparing for another quarter at Colorado State University, Jody writes of Christmas and college. She's in her final year at CSU - looking after Pete, keeping house, and in the family way. 

917 Remington
Fort Collins, Colorado
Tuesday, January 5, 1960

Hi,
    Just a short note to thank you for the "this and that" package. It was sure a lot of fun opening it, "just like Christmas again," Pete said. Can't begin to mention everything but I especially appreciated the silverware. It's wonderful to have a complete set - I love the butter knife and individual butter spreaders. Guess maybe I already wrote you that we bought an old butter churn for $2.00 and have been churning our own butter from the cream we skin from the milk. It's great fun to have real butter!
    Also love the teabag holders and the pretty teapot to match my set. We surely love our tea! If you remember, sometime we'd love some "Constant Comment" tea. I can't find any here in Fort Collins - one person said it was available in Denver but I don't get down there much for shopping! There's no hurry, we still have some left from the box you sent me last year and we only use it for guest occasions.
    Thanks also for the address labels, candy pecans, pajamas, sweater, hankies, etc.
    Enclosed are my grades from last quarter, guess I can't complain too much except that I feel I should have gotten an A in French, but at last I'm through with that - - - teacher. Now I have 32 hours of French. 30 are required for a minor. This quarter I'm taking 16 hours. I only need 25 more hours to graduate so I could have taken a real light load but I didn't see much sense in loafing that much.
    The courses for the quarter are: E115 Advanced Creative Writing (Short Story), 3 hours, 7-9:30 pm W; PL140 Logic and Scientific Method, 5 hours, 10 daily. This should be interesting and different! I know absolutely nothing about such things so figured now was a good time to find out; E167 English Literature 1740-1790, 5 hours, 11 daily. I don't care for this type of literature at all, but maybe I'll learn enough to change my mind - I hope; AR91 History of Art, 3 hours, 3 MWF. 
    It's certainly wonderful to be able to look forward to these courses rather than dread those horrid education courses.
Thanks again for the package.
Love,
Jody

Previous Letters Home: 

~  ~ 

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

Milliron Monday: The Recordings 1

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:   June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010 Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May ...