Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Florida Racer: An Interview with Amelia Gillespie

Amelia Gillespie up! 

Florida Racer: An Interview with Amelia Gillespie

By Gina McKnight

Archived from the July 2023 Issue of Florida Equine Athlete
No Duplication without permission.

Barrels, boots, dirt, and horses are a lifestyle. Rodeo sports are a super cool lifestyle at any age. Meet Amelia Gillespie, a barrel racer from Florida. Amelia is in her third year of rounding the barrels. Besides competing in barrels, she rodeos and gameshows with her paint mare Mona, who is serious competition.

Welcome, Amelia!

GM: How old were you when you met your first horse?

AG: I met the first horse I rode at seven and the first horse I bought at nine.

GM: When did you begin barrel racing?
AG:  I started barrel racing three years ago with my first horse, Tonka.

GM: Tell us about your horse(s)...
AG: I own a horse named Tonka, who I do not show anymore because he is pretty old (23 years). Tonka is a buckskin and white paint. And over a year ago, I tried a horse named Mona, who wasn't too familiar with barrels, at a gameshow. After that, I started leasing her and have been since. She's about 16yo and she is the prettiest paint mare. We have made so much progress from running 24's to 17's! Mona is a bay and white paint.

GM: What are you thinking when you round your last barrel and headed for the finish line?
AG: On the way home from the 3rd barrel, all I can think about is how I thought the run was and am ready to hear how I did.

GM: Besides barrel racing, what is your favorite rodeo event?
AG: Besides barrel, my favorite rodeo events are poles and chute dogging. I like poles because how well me and Mona normally do on them. And I love chute doggin and do it whenever I get a chance because it proves how strong I am.

GM: Do you have advice for novice barrel racers?
AG: No matter how hard teaching your horse or even learning barrels yourself may be, don't give up and don't get discouraged, just keep trying. It may seem really hard at first, but once the horse learns everything and figures it out, they won't forget. And doing barrel drills and slow work really helps. Walk or trot to the barrel, stop back up, circle the barrel until they do it well, and then go on.

GM: What does horsemanship mean to you:
AG: Horsemanship means to be a confident rider. Confidence in yourself and the horse you're on.

GM: When you're not riding or racing, what do you do for fun?
AG:  Besides riding, I like to do shooting and archery. 

GM: List five things your fans may not know about you...
AG:
  1. I love animals and have over 40 pets.
  2. I live in Florida.
  3. I have done mounted archery.
  4. I would rather ride bareback than saddled.
  5. And I really want to do trick riding.

Connect with Amelia...
Instagram @ florida_barrelracer






 

No comments:

Milliron Monday: The Recordings 1

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:   June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010 Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May ...