Tuesday, June 27, 2023

An Interview with Ohio Author Larry Eley

Vikki and Larry Eley


An Interview with Ohio Author Larry Eley


Larry Eley is the co-author of Mifflin Drift (Reedy Press, 2022), an engaging story about “fifteen-year-old Larry who never wanted to leave the calm of his grandparent’s farm, but now he’s in Northglen, Ohio living in a snug home with his mom and boozy stepfather, E.A. Darnell. The high school is run with an iron fist by groups called the Rat Pack and the Gents. The neighborhood is packed with weirdos. On top of that, E.A. has a habit of losing jobs, including the one that brought them here. When he comes home drunk one night and tells Larry to get out, he’s half tempted to do it. But Larry is soon adopted by a gang of local toughs that roam the woods beyond the stream that locals call Sewer Creek, throwing cherry bombs at skinny dippers and sneaking into the drive-in theater. Complicating Larry’s love life is Kathy, a member of the Rat Pack who’d love to date a baseball player if her Hollywood mother would sign on. Then there’s Lynn, the gutsy charmer he can’t forget, but who refuses to even tell Larry where she lives. Mifflin Drift is about eight friends in pre-Vietnam America and how they grew up―despite their best efforts not to.

Welcome, Larry!

GM: What is the premise for your book?

LE:  Mifflin Drift is a humorous look at growing up in a dysfunctional home in the 60's, focusing on my first two years in a new high school with emphasis on friends, adventures and first loves.

GM: Who is your target audience/niche market?
LE:  Our book appeals to all ages. Our publisher has targeted the Young Adult audience and we have also found Baby Boomers especially enjoyed the book.

GM: What would you like readers to take away from your story?
LE:  I would like the story to take reader's back to their high school days, friends and adventures.  It is always the hope that readers will "find themselves"  in  one of the characters and "live" the story through that character. For younger readers, I hope to give them a glimpse of life in the4 60's before electronic devices & games, the internet, facebook, TikTok etc.

GM: Describe your creative space and where you like to write...
LE:  I have an hour commute to and from work each day. I use that time "talk out" the story and then put my thoughts on the computer when I get home. 

GM: What are you currently reading?
LE:  I have a stack of books purchased from other authors I have met at Book Fairs waiting to be read. I especially like books related to the military and/or civil war history. I am in between books at the moment...

GM: What are you currently writing?
LE:  I am in the process of formulating a sequel to Mifflin Drift.

GM: Do you have advice for novice writers?
LE:  Don't be afraid to fail. Keep trying. Develop a thick skin--don't let criticism bother you. Believe in yourself and your ability to "tell" your story. Be flexible. Find a good editor. 

GM: List 10 things your fans may not know about you...
LE: 
1.  I am a Class III State Building Inspector and hold 4 certifications from the State of Ohio.

2.   I have 4 John Deere tractors and consider myself an amateur tractor mechanic. I am rebuilding a John Deere 430 crawler at the present.

3.  For the first 30+ years of my career, I owned and operated a small construction company.

4.  I can't cook anything except baked potatoes and scrambled eggs. My idea of a great bachelor meal is a cold root beer accompanied by toaster waffles.

5.  I am a Vietnam Veteran. I have published numerous stories about my time in Vietnam online at DonPossWarStories.com

6.  Outside of my wife and family, my favorite thing to do is to make hay.

7.  I have the prettiest Border Collie in the world. Her name is Gypsy. I use her as one of the "characters" in Mifflin Drift.

8.  If I had my dream job, I would be the center fielder for The New York Yankees.

9.  My favorite movie is Ben-Hur. My favorite scene is the Chariot Race.

10.  If I had one wish, it would be to be rich enough to hire someone to weed our gardens! haha  Just kidding...

Connect with Larry:

Facebook @ MifflinDrift 

No comments:

The Hills in Spring: A Poem by Kathy S. Elasky

  The Hills in Spring by Kathy S. Elasky I love the hills in the spring Red Bud pink against the green In the meadows flowers bloom Showers ...