Thursday, June 1, 2023

Retraining OTTBs: An Interview with Jill Diestelhorst

Jill Diestelhorst CowgirlsOTTB

Retraining OTTBs: An Interview with Jill Diestelhorst

By Gina McKnight
From the May 2023 Issue of Florida Equine Athlete www.floridaequineathlete.com
No Duplication Without Permission

From Florida USA, Jill Diestelhorst is a successful horsewoman. As a competitive barrel racer, she has won many accolades. Her “off-the-track Thoroughbreds” are trained to compete in trail, barrels, freestyle, and more. Jill is a focused and intentional trainer, creating inspiration for equestrians looking to re-home a OTTB.

Welcome, Jill!

GM: When did you meet your first horse?

JD: When I was at a young age my Grandfather took me to see my cousin show her horse over jumps at a stable nearby. As far back as I can remember I’ve loved horses and they eventually got me a horse when I was young.

GM: Training OTTB's must be rewarding in so many ways! Tell us about the acquisition process, where the horses originate, what you do upon arrival at your barn, and how you choose which horse(s) you work with...
JD:  My trainer competed at the Retired Racehorse Project and I’ve always been a huge fan of racehorse industry. I found my horses off Facebook groups, nearby in Florida. I was able to drive and look at three of the Thoroughbreds I’ve purchased. One came out of State which has been my first time buying sight unseen. I look for a good brain, I get along with more lazy, chilled horses than I do hot and spicy. I look at facial swirls, racing videos for speed out of the gate- mainly for barrel racing I’d like to see early on speed, than I look at size of the horse. Yes, any size horses can run barrels but I prefer 15.2hh’s. I only have two horses currently and I try to switch days when I work them. I try to do something small daily if I don’t actually work them.

GM: What training methods do you use?
JD: I don’t have a set method, there’s hundreds of ways to do one thing. I try to adapt to the horse itself. Some horses are more sensitive and some are dull. I try to make my sessions short and sweet. I don’t wanna overwhelm or frustrate my horses. Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in making it perfect but over time I’ve learn little steps at a time.

GM: What are the specific challenges of retraining an OTTB to race barrels? Does the horse have issues navigating the change of course?
JD: Challenges would mainly consist of building their balance to the weaker side. That’s the hardest and time consuming thing to gain. It varies with the horse itself but sometimes it can take a while to build it up. I haven’t had a OTTB have any issues actually turning. The mare I have now was loped through a set of barrels track, broke and snapped her turn.

GM: Do you think OTTB's have an edge over Quarter Horses in barrel racing?
JD: I truly believe it all depends on the horse itself.

GM: You have won many accolades and awards. Can you share a list of your accomplishments?
JD: Retired Racehorse Project 2020:
•Competitive Trail 8th place amateur trainer
•Barrel Racing 7th Place amateur trainer

•T.I.P Performance Awards Green Horse ll Western Division Winner

Retired Racehorse Project 2022
•Barrel Racing- 5th place by default, was standing in 2nd place during Preliminary Competition.
•Barrel Racing Top Amateur Trainer
•T.I.P Barrel Racing Championships 3D Average Winner
•T.I.P Barrel Racing Championships 1st 2D & 1st 3D
•Competitive Trail- 11th Place
•Competitive Trail 4th place Amateur Trainer
•T.I.P Trail Championships Under Saddle-
3rd, 4th and 4th average.
•Florida Thoroughbred Expo 2022- 4th in Freestyle
•T.I.P Performance Awards Green OTTB ll Western reserve champions

GM: You will be attending the FloridaThoroughbred Expo again this year. Where can fans find you and your horses?
JD: Yes! We’re hoping they bring back barrel racing, but if not we’ll be competing in ranch trail and freestyle. It’s in early December located at The Florida Horse Park.

GM: What horses do you currently stable? Who is your go-to horse?
JD: I have two, Dado’s Dream, a bay gelding  and a bay mare named Egalite. My go-to horse would be Egalite. She’s really fun to ride.

GM: Do you have advice for novice OTTB trainers?
JD: Take your time and get their foundation solid before continuing into a certain direction. Don’t rush the progress.

GM: What does horsemanship mean to you?
JD: Horsemanship to me means how you treat your horse, the attitude you display, and overall how you present your character to the public and towards others around you.

Connect with Jill…


Florida Expo - Kristen A Photography

Photo by Canter Clix

Photo by Canter Clix

Photo by Canter Clix

Photo by Landen Webb


 

No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...