Friday, June 6, 2014

David Lloyd Collins, Equine Artist


From Coventry, UK, welcome Artist David Lloyd Collins...

David is a professional Equestrian and Pet portrait artist, working from his home shed studio. Art is his passion. His portraits are stunning, capturing the essence and beauty of each life he paints.

David studied art at Warwickshire College for three years, National Diploma in General Illustration before moving down to Dorest, Bournemouth and Poole College Higher National Diploma in Natural History Illustration for another two years, where he studied traditional painting techniques.

Living in an old cottage in a small rural village in the heart of Warwickshire not far from Stratford upon Avon, David is surrounded by the beautiful countryside which gives him the opportunity to walk with his dog for miles, see the natural wildlife and plants, and walk along beautiful streams and rivers.

What was your first masterpiece? 
I don't know about masterpiece, but the first that showed me I had potential was one I did at college; a underwater painting based on the Red Sea.

Where do you like to paint and what medium do you use?
I work in oils primarily so I work in a studio at home.
For me lighting is so important and I can control that in a studio.


Do you listen to music, or have a muse while creating?
I Love to listen to music, from classical, to heavy metal and everything in-between.

What's the key element that you look for in a pet when choosing their pose and angle? 
That is hard one to answer, pose and angle are one, shape of the canvas is another; also light and shadow for me is huge. Everyone has their own unique challenges. Right now I'm working on a three horse painting, they have sent me loads of photos as requested and there are a few that are amazing on their own but would not work for this one.

Do you have a favorite portrait of your own creation? 
Not really.

Who is your favorite artist? 
Robert Bateman he captures a sense of atmosphere in his work.

What's the best way to contact you to schedule a portrait? 
The best way is by email or Facebook as I turn off my phone when I'm in my studio.

Connect with David

No comments:

This Week @ Monday Creek: History and Cosmos

  The Ides of March came and went without much ado. Falling on the 15 th of March, it was a significant date in ancient Rome. It gained not...