Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Marilyn Holdsworth, Author


Marilyn Holdsworth lives with her husband in Southern California. She is an extensive world traveler, holds a degree in English Literature from the University of California and has a background in writing and editing. She is a successful businesswoman as well as a former horse owner and trainer. She is a supporter of Horse Rescue and contributor to Wild Horse Preservation. She has three published novels, including her newest release...

Making Wishes
Elloree Prince is an attractive, creative young woman who marries wealthy businessman, Tom Randall. After courting his bride with unrelenting determination, Tom moves her into old-moneyed Oak View where generations of Randall's have lived for years. Outwardly Elloree appears to settle into raising their two sons within Oak View's stifling social structure but inwardly she yearns for her artistic work. An unexpected phone call from Mark Williams, her former employer offers her the career opportunity of a lifetime and she must make a choice. She is torn between her devotion to her sons and her love for her work. Her decision to return to Wishes Inc. brings dramatic life changes to her and the ones she loves.

What was your inspiration for 'Making Wishes'?

My concern for the family was my inspiration for Making Wishes. Many women today are confronted with difficult career choices that dramatically impact the family.

Where does the story take place?

The story takes place in California, New York and England.

Are your characters fictitious or otherwise?

My characters in Making Wishes are fictitious. But in my book, The Beautiful American I have interwoven historical characters with fictitious ones.

Who would enjoy Making Wishes?

I think women of all ages would enjoy Making Wishes.

Will there be a sequel to Making Wishes?

I have been asked by many about doing a sequel to Making Wishes. When I finish writing the book I'm now working on I will consider that.

What other books have you written?

Other books I have written are: Pegasus and The Beautiful American.

Who is your favorite author?

I really don't have one favorite author.

...your favorite novel?

I enjoy a wide variety of books but two of my favorite novels are Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier; really like her characters and descriptions.

List 10 things that help you to be creative....

My life experiences

Travel

Reading

Walking on the beach or in the park

Listening to classical music

I keep files of ideas for stories and characters

When I'm starting on a book I spend time asking myself what if? - What if my character does one thing or another? Or what if some action takes place? How will it affect the plot?

I jot down ideas on a legal tablet before beginning to write

I carry a notebook with me and record my impressions of places and events.

Wherever I am I listen and watch people to observe their actions and reactions.


Connect with Marilyn…
Making Wishes

The Beautiful American

Pegasus



Pegasus
Widowed at thirty, Hannah Bradley is a successful journalist focusing on animal abuse issues. An accidental meeting introduces her to lawyer, Winston Caughfield III. Drawn to Hannah's gentle beauty and fierce commitment to her work, Win joins her in a fight to save wild mustangs from slaughter. Together they rescue a badly injured horse with a mysterious background. Hannah's search to discover the animal's true identity leads them into a web of black marketeering and international intrigue. Action packed with crisp colorful dialogue the story propels the reader to a race against time conclusion. Marilyn Holdsworth delivers a gripping tale of mystery, adventure and romance guaranteed to hold the interest and capture the heart. She brings true-life characters together with real-life issues to create a fast-paced irresistible story.


The Beautiful American
Abby Long is thrilled when she offers the winning bid for an antique desk at an auction. With its intricately inlaid woods and elegant style, the desk is perfect for Abby; it is the gift she promised herself to finally celebrate her thriving antiques business. She has no idea that the antique desk holds a secret that will lead her on a fascinating, life-changing journey back in time. When Abby discovers a hidden diary stuffed inside a secret compartment in the desk, she can hardly wait to read the spidery, faded script. As she carefully turns the tattered pages, she reads the captivating story of two remarkable women from opposite backgrounds who somehow manage to form an unforgettable bond against the backdrop of a fledgling America struggling to find its place in the world. Elizabeth Kortright Monroe, the wife of James Monroe, and Jasmine, a young slave girl, develop an extraordinary relationship as they are united by pivotal historic events, political intrigues, and personal tragedies. From a bucolic Virginia plantation to the bloodied, starving streets of post-revolutionary Paris, this powerful tale follows the lives of two courageous women from the past as they quietly influence-and inspire-a woman of today's world.

1 comment:

MarilynHoldsworth said...

Great post. I have copied to my blog

Milliron Monday: Letters Home Oct 10 1960

          Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:   June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010 Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1...