Monday, June 24, 2024

Milliron Monday: The Recordings 7

  Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021

Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 
"Did I tell you I broke the law?"
― Jody Smith

Setting for this recording: Jody and I arrived at the barn, she's always on time. As she enters, she says to me, "Did you see a Highway Patrolman drive by?" I said, "No, why?" "Well, I was going over the speed limit. I think he's out looking for me." She gave him the slip. We take our places at the table, she pulls out her notecards...

Did I tell you about the one time I broke the law? I did it intentionally, and glad I did. I was picking up AJ [grandson] in Columbus. I don’t think Grant [AJ’s brother] was born yet. On the way home, I stopped at Conkle’s Hollow. I love Conkle’s Hollow. I had Hawkeye, my German Shepherd with us, on the leash. You’re not allowed to let dog’s off the leash in any State Park. But, I did this time. We were out on a far trail and some strange guy was coming towards us on the same trail. He had a knife and was showing me the knife in his hand. I felt for the small knife in my pocket. I was very happy that Hawkeye was right there with us. Like all German Shepherds, he began wagging his tail, Oh boy! Someone’s coming! Then he took a stance when I let him off the leash, even though he stayed by my side. The man made me nervous. Something was wrong with him. AJ said to the guy, “Oh, he’s a friendly dog.” But, I don’t know if Hawkeye picked up something threatening from the guy, or if he picked it up from me being nervous. I think Hawkeye picked up the guy’s evil intent. The guy avoided us and headed in the other direction. Later, we found out that a guy had stabbed a woman on the same trail that same evening.

One time, Pete and I took the kids to meet Bob Hope. Bob was performing at the Ohio University Ballroom. That was in 1972. Bob Hope was 74 at the time. Mike Schmidt, the baseball player, introduced Bob. Mike began telling jokes, a few of them off-color and inappropriate for kids. Schmidt was very young, he didn't understand that there were kids present. Bob noticed the kids in the audience and said, "Well, I'll just tell the jokes from here out." And he did. Everyone was pleased about that. We got to meet Bob after the show.


Have a great week ahead.

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

Stuff & Nonsense: Blackberry Games, A Read-Aloud Story by (c) Celeste Parsons

  Celeste Parsons  lives in a log house built on a former dairy farm with her husband Jim, her Westie dog, Spook, and a revolving population...