Monday, June 10, 2024

Milliron Monday: The Recordings 6

 


Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021

Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith.

"It's now called the Silver Saddle. Why they called it that, I don't know."
- Jody Smith 


This week we continue Jody's archived voice recordings. This recording is from 2012...
 
    When we moved to Athens, Route 550 was Route 50A or 50 Alternate, but then they changed it to 550. That little bar that was there when we moved in was called the 50A In – they spelled it “In” instead of “Inn” – I don’t know why, it was never an inn, it was a bar.  They changed it to Sweetwater Station, which I thought was a really cute name because it was near Sugar Creek. Then when it was sold, they wouldn’t let them keep the name, I don’t know the story on that. The lady who bought the place could tell you the story on that. It’s now called the Silver Saddle. Why they called it that, I don’t know. I’ve only been in the place twice.
    One night Pete and I were driving along, coming home from a classical music concert at Ohio University. It wasn’t terribly late at night, around 9:30 or 10. There was this crowd on either side of the road. Wisely, Pete slowed down. There was a guy crawling on the center-line of the highway, too drunk to stand. Pete slowed way down, had to go off to the side of the road. The crowd had to step back. That was back when it was the 50A In. I don’t know how it stays in business now. I know one or two people go there. 
    At any rate, my son used to be there in his early college days. He used to play pool there. He was the pool champion. They used to have Happy Birthday, Pat on their sign out front. 
    At the time, Pat wanted a truck, so I bought his car from him so he could buy a truck. Every night I drove by the Silver Saddle in the car I bought from Pat, the highway patrol or sheriff would follow me. One night they put a spotlight on me and seen it was me and not Pat, then they drove off. I guess they were all friends. 


Have a great week ahead!



Connect with Gina...

Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian. 

No comments:

Stuff & Nonsense: All-American by Celeste Parsons

We have now celebrated three of the major summer holidays, and are a month and a half from the holiday that traditionally brings summer to a...