Saturday, December 10, 2022

Toscotti's War by Tony Marconi


 
An Interview with Ohio Author Tony Marconi
 
Ohio Author Tony Marconi is a fiction writer. His books are 5-star rated with raving reviews. I first met Tony in October at the Rocktober Book Festival. Tony is a joy to talk with and a prolific writer. His book, Toscotti’s War, is a compelling story that is recommended reading. 

From the back of Toscotti’s War: During Tony Toscotti’s first year of college in the mid-1960s, his passion for scholarly pursuits—and for his first love Margaret—are completely and utterly squashed. The circumstances point to one responsible party: God, driving Toscotti to declare his own personal war on the Almighty. A novice combatant, Toscotti soon finds himself in unfamiliar territory, coping with a Vietnam-era Army boot camp, training as a helicopter pilot, and trekking Arctic and Antarctic trails blazed by polar explorers Franklin and Shackleton—ultimately discovering an elixir he believes could be the trump card in his crusade against Yahweh. 

Welcome, Tony!

GM: When did you realize you wanted to become a writer?

TM:  I’ve always loved getting lost in books, and I think my love of reading inspired me to try writing—or at least starting the process. I wrote my first “book” in the 7th grade—13 pages long! I sent it into TAB books and got an encouraging note to keep up my efforts. Eventually, I did.

GM: What is the premise for your new book?
TM: I am currently completing a sequel to an occult murder mystery. The premise of my first book was:

Upon the Hush of Night

When the cemetery at St. Katherine’s church is desecrated, ex-priest John Bengioni is asked to find out how it happened. As a former assistant pastor to the parish and a prominent author in the field of occult research, John’s insights could very well be valuable in identifying the perpetrators and allowing the police to apprehend them quietly. 
So thinks Fred Renson, chief liaison to the mayor and an old friend of John’s. But Fred has made it clear that City Hall wants to avoid any adverse publicity. Discretion is essential. Unfortunately, Bengioni has a hard time playing by the rules. Especially when he uncovers clues that lead him to a ninety-seven-year-old jewel theft, the body of a recently slain art smuggler, and a talisman of incredible potency. His quest to unravel the mystery behind these phenomena will force John to question his ability to protect the people he loves, especially when he is confronted by a demonic entity of historic proportions.

The sequel is entitled: Whence Cometh the Dark 

    When John Bengioni’s fiancĂ©, Andrea Peterson, receives an invitation to a gala dedication of the restoration of the Glen Oaks Lunatic Asylum, she is surprised to discover that she is the great grandniece of a one of the founding patrons of the century-old institution. Her delight in learning about a previously unknown relative comes as a mixed blessing when she finds that her Uncle Eber was also confined as a patient there in his later years, committed due to his obsession with an ancient mystery cult dedicated to resurrecting the dead.

When a murder on the asylum’s grounds becomes front-page news, John is inadvertently drawn into an investigation that may link Andrea’s long dead relative to the current situation. The main source of the problem seems to be that the dead man doesn’t seem to be dead enough, and the killer wants to slay him again. And again, and again …
 
GM: Oh! Sounds intriguing! Writing fictional characters and engaging scenarios can be tricky. How do you maintain thoughts and ideas?
TM: Mostly by staying aware of people and events locally and worldwide. Also, by maintaining a sense of irony and an appreciation for the absurd. Once I start writing, I get absorbed by my characters’ world views.
 
GM: Authors say that writing is easy, editing is a nightmare, and book marketing is the worst! In your experience, what marketing techniques have worked best for you?
TM: I write because I feel like I have something to share, and I self-publish in small batches so friends, family, and an occasional stranger reads my work. Self-publishing is cheaper than a tombstone, and hopefully my books will see more traffic than a cemetery plot. 

GM: Take us through a day in your life as an author...

TM: I rise around 7:00 a.m. and have a little breakfast and a couple of cups of coffee while I watch the news. Usually, I’m at my keyboard by no later than 9:00, and I tend to get clear of e-mails and Duolingo Spanish by 9:15. Then I go to work on whatever writing project I’m developing or creating. I usually take a break for lunch around 1 or 2 p.m. Sometimes I have other chores to do, otherwise I go back to work at the computer until 4 or 5 p.m. 

After dinner, my wife and I watch movies and shows on TV. They are entertainment, but they help me understand story elements. We often get together with friends or work on our outside interests, including some social activism. I also do some container gardening in the summer, and do some cooking as well.
 
GM: Describe your writing desk and what drives your creativity...
TM: My desk is partially cluttered with notes and pens to jot down reminders related to my current project(s). It’s not particularly neat, but it’s not hard to find what I need when I am looking for something.
 
GM: What are you currently reading?
TM: The Poppy Factory by William Fairchild and Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell.
 
GM: What are you currently writing?
TM: A third book in my occult murder mystery series. Working title: When the Revenant Wakes
 
GM: List 10 things your fans may not know about you...
TM:
1. I am an existentialist.
 
2.  I have a working knowledge of theology and am overwhelmed by the insignificance of humanity in the cosmos.
 
3. I believe that one of the greatest driving human needs is to have mattered in this world.
 
4. I believe that all life is defined by conflict and that once we rise beyond our most basic needs on Maslow’s hierarchical pyramid, we choose the conflicts we want to define ourselves by.
 
5. I believe that all human civilization is predicated on three major myths: Money, Empire, and Religion.
 
6. I have a core hatred of bullying in any form.
 
7. I was/am an amateur magician. 
 
8. According to Myers-Briggs, I am an introvert, which surprises most people.
 
9. I’m diabetic, but I have a terrible sweet tooth.
 
10. I have a 3-year-old granddaughter, and that has made me feel more vulnerable than I have since my children were born.
 
Connect with Tony…
Website: Upon My Word





 

No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...