Thursday, October 21, 2021

Water Girl by Sandra Russell

Water Girl
Original Art by (c) Sandra Russell

When I was driving, I recalled an old friend. He was a grownup and I was a kid. He was one of a crew of men from the State mental hospital who used to come off grounds to work on local farms. We had them there for hay season a few times. I was the 'water girl'. I'd carry a big bucket of water and a ladle down to the field and they'd get a drink that way. At lunch a bit later, they would come up to the house for a meal of some sort, usually at the table, but sometimes near the cistern in the yard.

 

One of the guys was a big redheaded fellow named Wiley or Riley? I asked him one day why he wanted to be evil? He said, “I'm not evil”... I said, “Well you're wearing one of those 'Catholic' things around your neck and it's plain to see without a shirt on.” (I was taught by this side of the family that Catholics were agents of the devil). He laughed and said it was the “Holy mother and she made him feel safe.” Hm? Then I asked, “Why do you want to be a lunatic?” He said he wasn't really a lunatic. So I said he should run away then. He said, “I put myself in here for my nerves; I had a nervous breakdown.”

 

I never saw him the next summers. But he was a nice man... I hope he didn't hang himself like they said. He was the first Catholic that I knew was one, and he was nice.






 

No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...