Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Family Ties by Sandra Russell

 

Sandy's Grandmother Clara
(c) Sandra Russell

Family Ties
by Sandra Russell

“The best thing I can say about all this,
is that families need to nurture one another.”
-       Sandra Russell

    At an early age, the family had determined my fate was in the arts. I seldom got to visit with this side of the family, which is what is so odd about all this. The relations who had the greatest influence of shared experience were not so much alike to me as these folks I rarely saw. I am saying nature over nurture prevails in this case. Destiny can be delayed but not prevented. As adults I have come to know these cousins better in only the last few years. We individually have studied and enjoyed so many things that we find now are common to us all… 
This grandmother (Clara) gave me my first set of charcoal drawing sticks and sketch pads when I was 7 years old. Her daughter, my aunt Virginia, made me an embroidered and quilted "artist's apron" when I was 5 years old. It was sewn with narrow pockets all around the hem for crayons with a hand shaped pocket at the side, fingers and all, and my name embroidered on the waistband. Pretty great that Virginia's daughter Karol is also a quilter and we exchanged gifts (quilts and watercolors) at a horse show last summer. 

Grandmother Clara 
Original Art by (c) Sandra Russell

They all  showed horses. My dad took me to the shows because he was working 'sound'. I would go to the shows with my dad who was a sound engineer, and rigged up the loud speakers, etc. Sound, horses, quilting and painting. All repeated in the family. His mother is the banjo playing woman (painted by me) is also seen on the horse photo (above). This grandmother (Clara) gave me the charcoal set and drawing paper for Christmas when I was in first grade. Then later, when I was 13, she gave me her oil paints as she was going blind and could no longer paint. 
I think it's interesting how family ties can be evidenced in artwork and performance, even when these folks seldom see one another, there is a common pattern to their spirit, motives, and interests. These images tie into the other image of me seated with the art from 20+ years ago.

"Hylas and the Naiads" Original Art by (c) Sandra Russell
Sandra interviewed by the Athens News 2001


The fragment of the naiads can be seen in the other photo. I made all these tiles like a jigsaw puzzle or a 'crazy quilt' from clay, fired, then underglaze and glazed and refired, marked and pieced together it is about 4x8' ft and in private home in Athens County. The top row of similarly made mosaic is more sized 1x4' and was sold a couple of times last known to be Decatur, Illinois? Not sure? 
"Gypsy Princess" tile poem 1970
Original Art (c) Sandra Russell

This one was to illustrate a poem written by a friend in Brooklyn, New York in 1970. I made this piece about 17? years ago, hoping that it would find the author of the poem as a "Thankyou" note somehow?  My way of a 'message in a bottle' - do the art, send it out, see who finds it? I don't do this sort of tile work anymore, but created many, many hundreds in the nineties.
I am showing these, as they relate, I believe to the family tie of quilt making. Both require a 'vision' then a fracture of the elements, then a reassembly of those parts to resurrect the 'vision' manifest in material. The best thing I can say about all this, is that families need to nurture one another. I can only wonder how powerful and great we could have been if we'd had more of a chance to work together? Happy for what it is however!
My cousin Karol, daughter of Virginia, designed and quilted this piece.
She gave it to me recently at the barrel races.

(c) Sandra Russell




No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...