Monday, May 8, 2023

Milliron Monday: Remembering Jody

 

Jody and StarBoy circa 1958

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"Upon the horse, the girl was lost in a pounding, surging beat not felt upon her own two feet."
― Bethanne Ragaglia

It was a soggy day, rain pounded the barn roof. Jody and I were having our weekly meeting, sorting through old newspaper clippings and photos from her canvas bag. She was talking, talking, then... I looked up and she was crying. I had never seen Jody cry. Deep sobs and dripping tears were unexpected. Jody was always steadfast and to the point.  

At first, I didn't know why she was crying, but then I saw the faded picture in her trembling hand. It was StarBoy, her beloved gelding. Not knowing what to say, I cried, too. 

If you are a woman who was raised by a horse, you know the bond is real, tight, unbreakable, and "higher than soul can hope or mind can hide."

That moment was important. Jody inspired me to be still; quiet times with friends are the loudest. 

Today we remember Jody on the anniversary of her passing (May 9, 2021). We each remember Jody - like looking at a round column, encircled by family and friends, each one has their own view, each one has their own memories. Take a moment and lift Jody in prayer. Remember what she meant to you; how she inspired your life.  


[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in]

BY E. E. CUMMINGS

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
                                                     i fear

no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want

no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows

(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

~  ~ 

  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

 

No comments:

Milliron Monday

A final week of vacation, I will return next Monday! Thanks for following! Have a copy of Dr. Smith's biography ? Please write a review!...