Monday, May 29, 2023

An Interview with Ohio Author Jerry Snider

An Interview with Ohio Author Jerry Snider

Residing in Lithopolis, Ohio USA, Jerry Snider is the author of Buddy Bloom Wildflower, a children’s book about life. I first met Jerry at the Fairfield County Library, Lancaster. He is a member of the local writer’s group. His endearing book is quality reading for all ages.

From Jerry’s bio, “The first class I registered for at Ohio University was Creative Writing. It was also the first class I failed. In fact, the school had to raise tuition just to cover the cost of all the red markers the instructor was using to correct my essays. But that embarrassment didn't stop me from believing I had talent. A year later I earned a B- in that same class with the same teacher. In time, I earned a degree in communication. 

What followed was a less than stellar career with the federal government. All the while believing I was destined to be called an author, I studied joke writing, screenwriting, short story writing, play writing, and novel writing. I joined writer's groups and participated in workshops.  And I returned to my Alma Mater to take part in classes offered free to the over sixties crowd.

Working, playing, and learning with students slightly younger than my children and slightly older than my grandchildren, I put the finishing touches on Buddy Bloom Wildflower, A Tale of Struggle and Celebration. Written for children ages 8 to 80, it's my biography in kid form. With the goal of creating hope and laughter; the book is a tribute to great friends, gifted teachers, and inspiring role models.”

Welcome, Jerry!

GM: What is the premise for your book Buddy Bloom Wildflower?

JS: Buddy is a seed in a package with other seeds. Waiting to be planted, they look forward to fresh air and gentle rain to help them grow. A storm rips open the package and the seeds are scattered everywhere. Buddy is alone and doesn't know what to do. In time he gets help from George the Ant, Ken the Turtle, and Sadie the Butterfly. They help Buddy find his way and purpose for being a wildflower.

GM: It's an endearing story of Buddy Bloom, a flower seed, trying to find his place. His journey is complex, but simple, with many life lessons. What would you like readers to take away from your story?

JS: The value of struggle, the joy of friendship, and the celebration of life.

GM: The illustrator, Karen Ross Ohlinger, captures Buddy Bloom so well. Was the illustrator given freedom to create, or did you manage the illustrations? What was the process?

JS: She did a great job. I gave her the story and a few suggestions about the clown and the ladybug. Other than that she had the freedom to create her vision. Her goal was for the reader to just look at the pictures and be able to follow the storyline.

GM: What other books have you written?

JS: I've had an essay appear in a devotional for runners, a story in Chicken Soup for the Father Daughter Soul, and another essay in a book called Dear Napoleon about the influence of the classic Think and Grow Rich. I have a blog called The Art of Becoming a Wildflower on my website www.buddybloomwildflower.com. I self-published a short devotional book many years ago titled Going the Distance 

GM: Where is your favorite place to write?

JS: Everywhere! By that I mean I always carry a pen and paper to capture ideas. The final destination is the keyboard at my desk. 

GM: Do you have a muse or other prompt that motivates your creativity?

JS: My wife is my number one muse. She recently decided to raise chickens in our backyard. She sent me to the library to get some books on the subject. I told her it was a waste of time because chickens can't read. I got the books anyway and to make a long story short, she feeds the chickens and at night I read to them. Other ideas coming from life events, a good quote or joke, an encounter with a friend or foe, a childhood memory. The children at the school where I work. The point is ideas are everywhere if you’re looking for them. 

GM: What are you currently writing?

JS: I'm excited about a book I'm calling Rookie in Running Shoes (A Book of Wisdom and Folly). It's a collection of 500 word essays about the things I'm learning in the classroom called Life. Very similar to those Chicken Soup for the Soul books - the difference is the stories are all personal to me.

GM: What advice do you have for novice writers and those looking to write their first manuscript?

JS: Always number one is have fun. If you're not having a good time, it will show in your work. Set a time to write, stick to it, take some classes, join a writer’s group where you'll make friends and get encouragement. And Believe in yourself. The world is waiting. As a wise man once said, "Your life is God's gift to you and what you do with it is your gift to God."

Connect with Jerry…

https://www.buddybloomwildflower.com/

Amazon

No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...