Monday, March 6, 2023

Milliron Monday: Celebration of Life Virginia Joyann Jody Smith

Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Athens, Ohio

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"If you should hear a fox bark on the hill -
Then turn you in your soft, smooth bed a bit,
Knowing, with shuttered eyes, the moon is bright - 
Knowing a vixen runs, alone with stars,
Down all the frosty ridges of the night."
― Return by Beulah Fenderson Smith
Frostfire: Poems of Love
  •  

Special thanks to D&R Studio, Dave Norris and Ron Mash, for capturing Jody's Memorial Service/Celebration of Life at the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Athens, Ohio, September 4, 2022:




Watching Jody's memorial and thinking... I've no one to correct my verbs, mince words, or spend long afternoons at the barn talking about Pete Smith and horses. It was the Jody Era, a time of listening, friendship, and all things Milliron. This reminds me of  a conversation I had with Jody. One day Jody and I were talking about one of her neighbors who had passed away. Jody said, "I would never say she passed away. I would say she has died." That stuck with me, I don't know why. Possibly pass away is a little kinder. But, Jody always dealt in hard facts. Die is apparent, we all know what it means. To pass away is less clear, a euphemism that helps us to process the event gradually. 

We are grateful for the outpouring of friendship and love by so many. Even now, people continue to reach out with letters of support and condolences. Sincere thanks.


  
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...